View previous topic | View next topic

The weather thread - All New 2021 Edition

Page 57 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

suze
1387436.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:57 am Reply with quote

Or the lavatory? Some have sought to make an association between "coming out of the closet" and the activities of gay men in public lavatories in days gone by.

This supposed association doesn't really work, though. Young ladies "came out" when they were introduced to formal society at debutante balls, and had done so since the days of George III until the practice was abolished by the present Queen in 1958. The first citation we have for "coming out of the closet" is from Sylvia Plath in 1963, but she didn't mean acknowledging oneself as gay, and what with being an American she wouldn't have used "closet" for the lavatory either.

Some have postulated a connexion with "skeletons in the closet". Those who make this suggestion assert that bodysnatchers would hide the cadavers they had stolen in priest holes, behind false walls, and so on - but there is no evidence that this ever actually happened.

So we don't really know.

Brock
1387439.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote

@suze: Thanks - I've always been a bit puzzled about that one!

@Efros: I don't understand your post, sorry. Just because "closet" means "wardrobe" in some contexts, it doesn't follow that it means "wardrobe" in every context.

Efros
1387444.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote

American bedrooms mostly have built in wardrobes, which are usually called closets. The item of furniture that we Brits call a wardrobe is still called a wardrobe but will more usually be called a closet in the US, and as a free standing item of bedroom furniture is relatively rare. My post was just highlighting the American definition of closet includes a wardrobe.

Awitt
1387448.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote

Usually called wardrobes here in Aus too, or BIR's on house plans - built in robes.
The one in my spare room is a small one but it's still a wardrobe space.

Brock
1387457.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
American bedrooms mostly have built in wardrobes, which are usually called closets. The item of furniture that we Brits call a wardrobe is still called a wardrobe but will more usually be called a closet in the US, and as a free standing item of bedroom furniture is relatively rare. My post was just highlighting the American definition of closet includes a wardrobe.

Fine, thanks, but I was actually asking about something different - the meaning of "closet" in "come out of the closet". As suze has given a comprehensive answer to that one, it doesn't matter any more!

Jenny
1387464.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote

In the USA (at any rate in our bit of it) a room can't be a legal bedroom unless it has a built-in closet. Free-standing wardrobes are vanishingly rare here - in fact I don't think I've ever seen one.

I've always thought of 'coming out of the closet' as meaning revealing to the world what has usually been hidden away behind closed doors.

Brock
1387466.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote

I don't think there's much dispute about the meaning of the phrase - it was its origin that I was curious about. Anyway, a subject for another thread.

Efros
1387516.  Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote

The heat yesterday coupled with the humidity overnight built into an almighty thunderstorm which has just dumped a month's worth of rain I a bit over 30 minutes. We must have had a couple of very close strikes as a couple of the bangs immediately followed the flashes. Oscar couldn't give a shit, he's watching TV.

Jenny
1387518.  Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote

We can actually see the edge of your storm clouds from here. 93F here today, but the dewpoint is supposed to drop in an hour or so. Please.

Efros
1387519.  Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Well the humidity has returned with a vengeance after a little post storm respite. 74F but is feeling a lot warmer than that.

Efros
1387981.  Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote

So a week later, 9 am in the morning, about 74F outside but approaching 95% humidity. When you are sitting in shorts and T-shirt in your living room doing nothing at 8 am and there is sweat beading on your forehead then the AC is switched on with pleasure. After an hour it is almost tolerable. Looks like this will be the story for the rest of the day.

Jenny
1387995.  Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote

Yep. Here too. I spent a chunk of yesterday moving stuff about as Woodsman has just fitted shelves in a closet now designated as a linen closet in the spare bedroom. He currently has a window shaker a/c in that room as he's still working on the other closet (designated for clothes storage so needs a shelf and a hanging rail) and I ended up with both that a/c and the one in our bedroom on, as I was sweating just lugging bags of linen around which have been stashed in the other spare bedroom since we moved here.

crissdee
1388013.  Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote

We just had some of the heaviest rain I have seen for months round here, but it lasted less than ten minutes. Sun is breaking through to the west.

tetsabb
1388037.  Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote

Sunny, cloudy, drizzly, sunny, cloudy....

Awitt
1388042.  Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:38 am Reply with quote

A nice sunny weekend here, before a cold change with rain front sweeps through tomorrow, so the next few days will be wet. The weather charts show the rain starting overnight.

The neighbour and I have to plan when to go out to the shops for our 'essential things' in between showers.

Page 57 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next