View previous topic | View next topic

Revalenta arabica

Page 1 of 1

MallockArcher
1341992.  Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I came across and advert for Du Barry’s Delicious Revalenta Arabica Food while looking at some deaths in Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle from 13/06/1874. It just caught my eye about how over the top the description is but if Wikipedia is to believed it's just cans of Lentils. They've got an entire column expelling it's virtues which are quite hilarious.

Oh it's on page 3. The constant changing of case is quite odd as well.

suze
1341995.  Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Is that ad similar to this one?

That's just how they wrote in those days. It was common to begin Nouns with apparently random capital Letters, and if the ad were not truncated at the bottom I expect it would say "&c" after the names of all those saved people.

If the product was indeed just lentils, then I might doubt its efficacy as a cure for "Flatulency"!

Do we suppose that "Mr. H. W. Stanley, the African Explorer" is an error for H M Stanley? He didn't become Sir Henry Morton Stanley until 1899, after he'd served a term as an MP.

crissdee
1342008.  Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote

N.B. "extolling" not "expelling" ;-)

Alexander Howard
1342150.  Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote

It's wilder than the Carbolic Smoke Ball one, if less expensive for the company.

(The University of London's SOAS Law Society holds an annual function, I believe, called the 'Carbolic Smoke Ball' in honour of the disastrous advert that has amused generations of law students.)

It was I believe Dr. Korker's Celebrated Corn and Bunion Destroyer that was called the "greatest remedy of the age; used by all the crowned heads of Europe". (If they were using it on their heads, they had misunderstood the instructions, surely?)

Page 1 of 1