View previous topic | View next topic

The "Blackboard/Chalkboard" thing

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

suze
1342470.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Although the students at the schools I work are either a bit young to be driving or they don't bother about insurance (you can decide which)

Since you do not work in the Medway Towns, I expect it's the former!

barbados
1342471.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote

@criss No it hasn't dropped out, the word "blame" has negative connotations, and as that is what the thread is primarily about, it is correct that it should be part of this conversation.
With regards to the door, why would you be passing so close that a door opening would hit you? It is the moving driver's responsibility, and the car where the door that is opening is travelling at what speed? It is not moving, and it has been hit by the moving vehicle

@suze, I'm allowed to say this under the rules of my shit town top trumps - I'll see your Medway towns and raise you a Croydon. ;)

PDR
1342473.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote

There are plenty of residential streets which allow double parking but when cars are parked on both sides there's barely three feet more than a car's width down the middle. In these cases you'd be unable to avoid an opening door (or car that pulls out) even if you're not doing 5mph. There are other, wider streets when there is 2-way traffic, but cars have close to no gap when they pass eachother. Again, an act of stupidity by the occupant of a parked car would be unreadable at any speed.

The lane at one end of mine is in the second category.

PDR

barbados
1342474.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote

And if you hit a stationery vehicle you were not driving with the due care required when driving down a narrow residential road.

PDR
1342476.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Not if the stationary vehicle suddenly opens its doors as you pass.

PDR

crissdee
1342478.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
@criss No it hasn't dropped out, the word "blame" has negative connotations, and as that is what the thread is primarily about, it is correct that it should be part of this conversation.

barbados wrote:
@dr.bob I actually think that blame is * the right word to be discussing in this particular thread. I think that it is a bit, for want of a better word, aggressive. Perhaps we should replace it with responsibility? Maybe that would portray the term in a more appropriate manner.

It seems that paragraph only makes sense if "not" is inserted where I have added the asterisk.

barbados
1342479.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote

The meaning was that we should, as a word with negative connotations, be discussing it, in a discussion about the negative connotations of some words (blame is to responsibility as black is to hot - as in crime black/hot spot)

Jenny
1342480.  Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Not if the stationary vehicle suddenly opens its doors as you pass.

PDR

This exact thing happened to me about 34 years ago (precise because I was pregnant with my youngest at the time). Our street was narrow, cars were parked both sides, and I was travelling well under the speed limit because I only had to drive a couple of hundred yards down the street to get to my house. A car door was opened right in front of my car about three feet in front of me and I couldnít avoid hitting it. The insurance company agreed with me.

dr.bob
1342656.  Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
The meaning was that we should, as a word with negative connotations, be discussing it, in a discussion about the negative connotations of some words (blame is to responsibility as black is to hot - as in crime black/hot spot)

Then why did you then proceed to suggest that "Perhaps we should replace it with responsibility"?

I drew the same conclusion as crissdee about there being a missing "not" in your post. However, I didn't raise the point because you tend to get rather prickly if I suggest your meaning is in any way unclear.

barbados
1342666.  Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
barbados wrote:

Then why did you then proceed to suggest that "Perhaps we should replace it with responsibility"?

As I said, responsibility doesnít have the same negative connotations that blame does.
Iím not sure how many more times I can say that?????????

barbados
1342667.  Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
barbados wrote:

As I said, responsibility doesnít have the same negative connotations that blame does.
Iím not sure how many more times I can say that?????????

Jenny
1342672.  Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Well you've done it twice so far...

barbados
1342681.  Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote

I can understand being asked the first time, it did read awkwardly. But all I can is repeat the explanation

dr.bob
1342712.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
I can understand being asked the first time, it did read awkwardly. But all I can is repeat the explanation

Just for clarification, did you miss out the word "do" from that post?

barbados
1342713.  Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:40 am Reply with quote

Yes

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next