View previous topic | View next topic

If Adolph Hitler had died/was killed during the Phoney War?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Leith
1386471.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder how European and World history might have played out if Joseph Chamberlain's attempts in the late 19th / early 20th century to make the UK a part of the Triple Alliance had been successful.

The breakdown of negotiations between the UK and Germany led to Chamberlain seeking an alliance with France instead, ultimately leading to the Triple Entente.

Had Chamberlain's first choice of alliance come about, we might have seen WWI breakout with the UK on the side of Germany, Austro-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire, perhaps defeating France and Russia (would America still have got involved? On which side?).

Then Austro-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire survive the war intact, Africa is divided into British and German colonies rather than British and French, and who knows whether Fascism or Communism would have taken hold where or when they did.

natalie.salat
1386821.  Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote

If Lenin was smart, he would have understood that he could do more for himself, his Party and his revolution by ransoming the Tsar and family for pounds sterling than he could with dead bodies.

PDR
1386838.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:28 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure Lenin was in that much control of the situation. I suspect the decision to murder the royal family was taken by a local zealot and Lenin was probably livid when he learned what they had done.

PDR

Alexander Howard
1386850.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote

The decision to kill the Tsar and his family may have been made by Yakov Sverdlov. The town where the murders took place was later named after him, and the region still is. I do not know what the Orthodox Church think of this.

Lenin's hands were drenched with blood and he would not have blinked twice over the Tsar. More immediate to his mind and Sverdlov's was the approach of the White forces to Yekaterinberg, who would have liberated the Tsar. They took the city just a week later and discovered the scene.

natalie.salat
1388243.  Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
The decision to kill the Tsar and his family may have been made by Yakov Sverdlov. The town where the murders took place was later named after him, and the region still is. I do not know what the Orthodox Church think of this.

Lenin's hands were drenched with blood and he would not have blinked twice over the Tsar. More immediate to his mind and Sverdlov's was the approach of the White forces to Yekaterinberg, who would have liberated the Tsar. They took the city just a week later and discovered the scene.

Iíve never understood why Lenin gets a free pass so often. Molotov, who knew them both, said Lenin was much more brutal and murderous than Stalin.

CB27
1388245.  Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote

Simple answer: propaganda

Jenny
1388246.  Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote

I think Lenin's death before Stalin's had much to do with it as well. De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3