View previous topic | View next topic

Road Races

Page 1 of 1

Dix
1341523.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote

Today's Sandi Scandi subject:

I've recently been told that the Hammel car is the oldest motorcar that has ever completed the London to Brighton vintage car race. I can't find a source for it, though.
It's certainly early - dates given varies between 1886 -1890. And it's a one-off so there is no question of it being a replica. But refurbished, probably.

https://driventowrite.com/2019/07/16/hammel-car-history-profile/

crissdee
1341545.  Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote

I have half a boookcase of motoring books, I shall go for a delve later and see if anything else emerges.

crissdee
1341671.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote

I had a look through all the books I have that might cover cars of that era. I could find only four references to the Hammel, and those only a line or two. The general consensus seems to be that 1886 is the very earliest that might be ascribed to it, with at least one source suggesting a decade later, and another suggesting that as it remained a single device, with no further production/developement, it doesn't really "count". It certainly seems to have entered the Emancipation Run at least once (1956), and to be the oldest vehicle ever to do so. I would say they were both rattling round their respective streets at the same time (between 1886 and1896) but which was actually first will never be determined without time travel.

Page 1 of 1