80%  [ 4 ]
Rebecca Long Bailey
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

cnb
1340630.  Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I have heard this argument before, but doesn't Tony Blair tend to suggest that the Inner Circle think otherwise? If there were no constitutional issue with the PM being an RC, then Mr Blair would have become one several years earlier than he officially did.

I suspect Tony Blair's behaviour probably only tells us what Tony Blair thought would be best for Tony Blair at the ballot box. Alternatively, it may be that he liked having the power to appoint bishops. The first time he got the opportunity - the election of the Bishop of Liverpool in 1997 - he rejected both of the candidates put forward by the Appointments Commission, something that hadn't happened in the 20 years the Commission had existed, and hasn't happened again since.
The Commons Library agrees with me:

The House of Commons Library wrote:
It is often suggested that the Prime Minister cannot be a Roman Catholic by law. This is not correct. Historically, non Anglicans were prevented from holding public office (including that of Member of Parliament) by the Test Act 1672, which provided that all office-holders should take oaths of allegiance and supremacy, declare against transubstantiation, and receive the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper (duly certified by Minister and Churchwarden) according to the usage of the Church of England. Within this framework, Roman Catholics were specifically prevented from sitting in either House of Parliament by the terms of the second Test Act 1678. While this Act did not specifically prevent the candidature of Catholics, nor actually prevent their sitting in Parliament, their exclusion was its clearly declared purpose, as stated in its preamble. It achieved its purpose by requiring that all Peers and Members of the House of Commons should, as often as the House required, not only take the oaths of supremacy and allegiance, but also make a declaration abjuring transubstantiation, worship of the Virgin Mary and the celebration of mass. Obviously, no Catholic would take such an oath. Members who refused to take it would automatically lose their seats.
The Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 provided, among other things, that Catholics could sit and vote in either House of Parliament provided that they took, instead of the oaths of supremacy, allegiance and abjuration, a new inoffensively phrased oath of allegiance. While there is no longer any statutory bar on Roman Catholics becoming Prime Minister, there are issues arising from advice on ecclesiastical preferment that is given by the Prime Minister to the Crown. Special arrangements would have to be made to ensure that he or she did not advise the Crown directly or indirectly on Church of England appointments, doing so under the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 remains a “high misdemeanour”. This particular aspect of Prime Ministerial duties could be delegated to another minister not similarly barred.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1342130.  Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote

How to I remove the Poll Options Clive Lewis and Jess Phillips?

suze
1342186.  Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote

Hi PWUM.

You can't, I'm afraid. Editing a poll once anyone has voted is a thing that only a moderator can do, so I've taken those two names out for you.

Neither of them had any votes.

dr.bob
1342252.  Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Neither of them had any votes.

Appropriately enough ;-)

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1343258.  Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote

Please remove Emily Thornberry from the poll thanks.

Jenny
1343271.  Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Done!

Jenny
1343272.  Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote

I've done that!

PDR
1345282.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote

Well it looks like the Labour Party has massively reduced momentum and has come to its senses.

Well done Kier, and let's see how this progresses.

PDR

barbados
1345287.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure how he is going to get the opportunity to flourish for the forseeable - so far the Government seem to be doing a good job - although how things willl look once the current difficulties have settled down might be different.
I have a feeling however that Mr Starmer will likely be less inclined to oppose for the sake of it, which his predecessor was inclined to do (albeit not very effectvely)

suze
1345289.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote

The Rt-Hon Dr Sir Keir Starmer KCB QC MP (to give him his proper title, although he has let it be known that "Mr" is fine even though it's strictly wrong) has already said that in the immediate term he will not oppose just because he leads the Opposition.

That is standard in times of national crisis, but in Britain at least it is absolutely not standard in normal circumstances. For it to become so would need all-party consensus and I don't see it.

A lot will depend on the path that Boris Johnson's government takes once the national emergency has ended. If it tries to return to Cameron thinking about the public sector, about welfare, and so on, then Labour absolutely will oppose very noisily. Mr Johnson would need to have a death wish to go down that road, but who can say that he doesn't.

If, on the other hand, the present government continues with its current quasi-Keynesian thinking then Sir Keir's Labour Party may not oppose all that much. Which it is to be, we probably won't find out until the autumn.

PDR
1345296.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

If, on the other hand, the present government continues with its current quasi-Keynesian thinking then Sir Keir's Labour Party may not oppose all that much. Which it is to be, we probably won't find out until the autumn.

Keynes and Monetarism are economic strategies. At the moment strategy is locked away on the back burner while short-term tactical manoeuvres are used to mitigate the problems in the interests of survival. Many former chancellors have been saying the same thing recently - in times like these you can't afford the luxury of an economic philosophy - you just have to ensure there is money available to keep stuff alive and kicking. There IS only one way to do that - borrow from the future, either by explicit borrowing or printing money (amounts to the same thing).

We have a crisis that we will be paying for for a generation - we'll just have to get used to that idea.

PDR

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1345303.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote

So Sir Keir Starmer, you have won. Time to take Labour back to the Centre Ground in politics to challenge the Tories. If not you don't deserve to exist.

suze
1345314.  Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Many former chancellors have been saying the same thing recently - in times like these you can't afford the luxury of an economic philosophy - you just have to ensure there is money available to keep stuff alive and kicking.

Suppose that this thing had come to pass in 2011 or so.

Can you be absolutely certain that David Cameron wouldn't have said "There is no money. If people locked in their homes are dying of starvation, their problem."?

Bear in mind that the Conservative Party of 2008 apparently thought that the banks should have been allowed to fail, since it opposed their nationalisation. Also bear in mind that at least one prominent Conservative - Daniel Hannan - has been allowed to say in public that the very existence of the NHS is wrong.

barbados
1345343.  Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote

Well if his his first editorial in the Sunday Times is anything to go by, it looks as though he is going to be just as much of a tit as his predecessor.

PDR
1345348.  Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote

People will have their own opinions, but I have to say when I read the article I agreed with most of it.

And now Boris has effectively prorogued parliament he's become a de facto dictator, and the only way to hold his executive to account is in the media.

PDR

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next