View previous topic | View next topic

Megxit

Page 18 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

barbados
1341706.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote

If you are answering yes, then you must be aware of it - which makes it a concious bias, Unless of course you can think of a way that you can be aware of something you are unaware of.

Do you see yet how it is an impossible question to answer?

Zziggy
1341714.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote

In addition to proof-reading your posts before you hit send, barb, it would also be wildly helpful if you could google terms you don't understand before you answer questions about them.

barbados
1341715.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote

An excellent contribution.
Very well done.

Zziggy
1341717.  Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote

To be honest, I feel like when it's glaringly obvious that one party in a discussion has absolutely no idea what they're talking about, "maybe you should do some reading around this topic before you opine quite so loudly" probably is a good contribution, actually.

barbados
1341738.  Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 am Reply with quote

Do you have any unconcious bias then? Because, depending upon which studies you believe, between 85 and 95% donít.
You can take tests to see, I have taken the racism test and it showed a slight preference towards black people, I retook the tests last night and took the racism test and the politics one. Itís quite a simplistic test - you select a button to place a picture or word in a group of either good or bad, then after 7 sections with differing collections ( variations on position of white, bad v black, good and white, good v black,bad) and I again came out slightly in favour of black in the racism one, but oddly I came out slightly in favour of Trump over Obama on the politics. I can only assume that is because I regularly got the first ones wrong in each test group.
But Iím happy to count myself in the 5-15% who do not show an unconscious bias.
The tests I have taken from harvard, and I had initally been drawn to it by my niece when she was doing her sociology degree.

Jenny
1341762.  Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote

I don't see how those tests could possibly work if the person being tested was aware what they were being tested for.

barbados
1341763.  Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Have you seen the tests?

Alexander Howard
1341768.  Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Nightmare! Grabbed by a copper while I was on my mobile. I had been speaking Welsh, so I assumed he thought it was some secret code to a terrorist, but no, he knew it was Welsh and I was arrested for "cultural appropriation".

I had to accompany him to my house where it got worse - he found the remains of last night's Chinese meal. That might have been explained away, but then he spotted the book of French poetry I had bought for my wife, which was damning. Cultural appropriation is a form of racist theft, he told me. Thank goodness I managed to hide my wife's hair curling tongs in time.

Jenny
1341843.  Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Good answers with examples here on Quora, to the question How did (and do) the British tabloids treat Harry and Meghan differently than they did (and do) William and Kate?

barbados
1341844.  Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Particularly ones like
Quote:
They donít. They simply reflect the fact that William and Kate do their jobs, keep their mouths shut and know how to behave.

dr.bob
1341863.  Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Do you have any unconcious bias then? Because, depending upon which studies you believe, between 85 and 95% donít.

You're saying that between 85 and 95% of people don't have any unconscious biases.

barbados wrote:
But Iím happy to count myself in the 5-15% who do not show an unconscious bias.

Now you're saying that 85 and 95% of people do have unconscious biases.

I've asked you before to double check your posts before you hit submit. Often it's not clear what you're trying to say. In this case, you're just being completely self-contradictory. Clearly one of these statements is not true, but I have no way of telling which it is. It's basically impossible to have any kind of meaningful discussion if one of the parties is not making any logical sense.

Please clarify what you mean here. If you can post a link to the studies you reference at the start of your post, that'd be even better.

barbados
1341864.  Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote

It was an obvious mistype, autocorrect error, are you suggesting that never happens to you?

dr.bob
1341866.  Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote

No I'm not. That's why I check my posts before I hit submit. Is it too much trouble for you to do the same?

I still don't know which of the statements you made is true.

barbados
1341869.  Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote

One statement that is definitely true, and I apologise to everyone else for playing the man here.
You really are a monumental arse arenít you.
(The full stop is correct punctuation - it was a statement, not a question

dr.bob
1342028.  Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote

I see you're not interested in clarifying your remarks, preferring to simply indulge in pointless trolling. I can't say I'm surprised.

I'll just clear up one minor point here:

barbados wrote:
If you are answering yes, then you must be aware of it

This is wholly incorrect.

I asked if you think you have unconscious biases. It's clearly impossible to know because they're unconscious.

I think I have unconscious biases simply because the University for which I work is very keen on sending people on unconscious bias training. As a result of these courses, I was shown that I had unconscious biases I was unaware of. Of course, now that I'm aware of them, I do my damnedest to make sure I don't let them cloud my judgement in future. However, given that I've been shown that I already had some unconscious biases, I would have to be a colossal egotist of the highest order to assume that they were my only unconscious biases and that I'm now 100% free of them.

Page 18 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next