View previous topic | View next topic

Superman (P-animals)

Page 1 of 1

Conundrum
1338459.  Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote

So I've been wondering whether to post this for a while now. Every time I see the P-animals episode, I think again that maybe I should say something. And it has aired again tonight on Dave and I was reminded once again, so what the heck ...

Despite what Sandi says in this episode, the S does not, strictly speaking, stand for Kryptonian for Hope.

The S is part of the "Superman Shield" and it's the entire shield, including the diamond shape itself, that means Hope.
It's not an S any more than the vertical line of T is an I. Or that C is part of O.

In the episode, Sandi refers to the movie Man Of Steel as the source of the fact but the dialogue in the movie is ambiguous. It runs like this:
Lois: "What does the S stand for?"
Superman: "It's not an S. It's Kryptonian for Hope."
Lois is referring specifically to part of the design but Superman is referring to the whole thing. Hence, confusion.

This is verified by the comics in which it is often stated that the Superman Shield is in fact the Kryptonian symbol for Hope. The movie just phrases it badly.

And yes, I realise that it started as an S way back when Superman was first introduced in Action Comics #1 in 1938; but strictly speaking, according to current explanations in continuity ...

And to REALLY show off my Uber Geek credentials, during the comics series called 52 the character of Ralph Dibny reveals that if you turn the shield upside down it becomes the Kryptonian symbol for Resurrection.

crissdee
1338460.  Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote

I have often thought that it would be too much of a coincidence that the Kryptonian language/alphabet had chanced upon the same design as our letter "S", and have long suspected that the whole design was actually important, with the double curved line being merely a part of the overall symbol. So nice to have my vague musings confirmed as "truth".

Page 1 of 1