View previous topic | View next topic

Celts

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Gaazy
11225.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote

You're bang on re the unverifiable thing - it was utterly impossible to pin down.

JumpingJack
11227.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote

Gaazy,

Can we possible hear some of your compositions somewhere? I'd be fascinated...

Gaazy
11230.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote

Try my website http://gglyn.tripod.com, where there are some clips (if they still work; I'm not a very committed webmaster). There may be better clips on the websites of CD retailers etc. - many of them sell discs with my orchestral stuff on them.

JumpingJack
11231.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote

Blimey, Gareth, I'm seriously impressed!

Gaazy
11236.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Aw shucks, I'm just an ornery ole tunesmith really.

Though if you catch any footage of the official opening of the Wales Millennium Centre tomorrow (26 November), you might see me there, keeping my fingers crossed that the extended fanfare they commissioned from me for the occasion comes off without incident....

Jenny
11270.  Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Beautiful music Gareth - thanks for the link.

Pity about Charlotte Church's voice these days...

Gaazy
11356.  Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Jenny.

Another possible for the Celts thread, and maybe Cousins too:

The Welsh language has a separate word for each cousin up to 5th:

Cefnder, cyfyrder, ceifn, gorcheifn & gorchaw.

Gaazy
11375.  Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote

The last French invasion of Britain wasn't in 1066 - it was in 1797, in Pembrokeshire. The whole story reads like a comedy film script, with French troops mistaking curious Welshwomen for troops of Redcoats, and many of them being rounded up by a cobbler's wife armed with a pitchfork.

A concise summary of what happened is here: http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Wales-History/Fishguard.htm

Jenny
11380.  Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote

That might be a good question for the General Ignorance thread, unless we can find a C connection (Celts, I suppose - duh!)

Massingberd
12487.  Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
there are good accounts surviving for later castle building campaigns, notably Edward I's campaign in North Wales.

Caernarfon Castle was built so as to resemble the walls of Constantinople which Edward had seen on crusade.

S: "Castles" Oxford Companion to Military History

The castles of Conwy, Harlech & Beaumaris were built by one James of St George, an architect from Savoy.

S: Wikipedia

Gaazy
12697.  Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote

The following assorted celebrities mother tongue is Welsh, making English their second language:

Rhys Ifans actor
Ioan Gruffudd actor
Matthew Rhys actor
Sin Lloyd weather forecaster
Aled Jones entertainer
Bryn Terfel singer
Huw Edwards newsreader
Guto Harri BBC Europe correspondent
Gareth Edwards erstwhile rugby player
Barry John ditto
Ffon Hague wife of ex-Tory leader
Gruff Rhys pop singer (Super Furry Animals)
Sin Philips actor
Rowan Williams Archbishop

hardie
12768.  Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote

A French army landed in County Mayo, then still technically part of Britain, in 1798, in support of the '98 rising. They surrendered almost immediately and the officer/prisonners travelled to Dublin by luxury barge, relieved to be heading backto civilisation in the company of (English) gents.
This has nothing to do with Celts, but didn't the Americans attack Whitehaven around the same time?

Gaazy
12983.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote

A thread elsewhere on this site discussing fanciful derivations of words like cop, posh and the F-word (the thread is actually called the Teddy Bear, but as in so many threads the subject diverged) reminded me that the derivation of "yob" is usually given as public school backslang. That, in turn, reminded me that the town of Caernarfon in North Wales also has its own backslang, spoken by Cofis (Caernarfon's equivalent of Geordies or Cockneys - pronounced "Kovvies").

They had their own words, for instance, for all the common monetary denominations, as you can see on this site - not all of them are backslang, but most of them are derived from English words - this is strange, as even as recently as a century ago a great proportion of Caernarfon's residents would be monoglot Welsh speakers.

"Niwc" (=penny) is backslang for "Cwn", which is the phonetic Welsh way of writing "Queen", and refers to the Queen's head on the coin. I don't know why the fact that the Queen's head appeared on all British coins didn't bother them.

"Slop" (=policeman) is for "Pols" (the "i" being elided); the boys in blue are still routinely called "slobs" here in the same way as they might be called the fuzz or, ahem, the filth, in England, though "slob" here doesn't have the same derivation as its English homograph (that's ultimately Scandinavian) though today's users probably don't realise that.

However, this is where I start flagging. I don't have a work of reference to hand to explain such exclusively Cofi words as magan (=halfpenny), hog (=shilling) and sei (=sixpence), but I'll keep at it.

Last edited by Gaazy on Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

hardie
12991.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote

The word feck, as in Father Ted, is not what ye think but an Irish word meaning Fetch, gain, seek or take, and has only recently been considered and used, for obvious reasons, as an obscenity.

Gaazy
12993.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote

hardie wrote:
The word feck, as in Father Ted, is not what ye think but an Irish word meaning Fetch, gain, seek or take, and has only recently been considered and used, for obvious reasons, as an obscenity.

This was highlighted in the memorable edition featuring the Song Contest, where the actual F-word was bleeped out several times in one of Ted's tirades. And then there were the minced versions of all kinds of swear-words in the picnic scene (explained by the "No Swearing" sign).

Actually, the minced oath is quite an interesting subject in itself, and could be brought into the C programme as Cripes, Crikey, Criminy or Corblimey.

I'm not using this site: http://www.e-paranoids.com/m/mi/minced_oaths.html as a source, but I did Google Criminy just to be sure and this popped up. I take issue with quite a few of its assertions - for example, I would contend that "Blimey" is "God Blind Me" and not "Blame me", and that "Jesus wept" is a knowing Bible quotation rather than a minced "Jesus Christ". But I haven't enough exact knowledge to go there.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next