View previous topic | View next topic

Funny of the Day

Page 25 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

extremophilesheep
1340203.  Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Reading a ten year old collection of newspaper cartoon strips, and this;

seemed appropriate. What that about plus ca change or something?

I forgot about Nemi, could do with catching up on that.

NinOfEden
1340265.  Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Today at work, a little girl (maybe 6 or 7) was buying some chicken nuggets, amongst other things, with her mum. She said to me, 'We need some chicken nuggets because...' Then she paused.
'... Because you're hungry?' I asked.
The customer behind giggled about it for a full minute.

NinOfEden
1340593.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote

That awkward moment when you've sung so many verses of The Wheels On The Bus that you've used up all the things that you might find on a bus, all the animals and other things that make interesting noises and 'The baby on the bus is very tired, very tired, very tired...' and you find yourself singing 'The cheese on the bus goes cheese cheese cheese...'

PDR
1340598.  Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote

The passenger on the bus goes "Where's my train"...

PDR

Dix
1340599.  Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote

extremophilesheep wrote:
crissdee wrote:

Just noticed a detail - the heading on the newspaper she's reading is "Domme dagblad" which is a nice little pun on "dommedag" - the day of reckoning (in the Biblical sense).

They forgot to translate that one, and yet it would've been so easy - "Dooms daily news", for example.

ali
1340609.  Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote

Seen on Twitter:

A picture of 4 religious bods, with names underneath each one: "Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Buddha".
I have no idea what point the poster was making, the post has disappeared from my timeline.
Anyway, among the comments were the rather splendid "Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb", and "Everybody's talking 'bout pop music".

Efros
1340636.  Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Fear at The Poppy Seed Place

extremophilesheep
1340721.  Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
crissdee wrote:

Just noticed a detail - the heading on the newspaper she's reading is "Domme dagblad" which is a nice little pun on "dommedag" - the day of reckoning (in the Biblical sense).

They forgot to translate that one, and yet it would've been so easy - "Dooms daily news", for example.

If I remember correctly about Nemi, they left things like that untranslated on purpose. Dagblad is the same word we have in Dutch for a newspaper (although "krant" is more commonly used). However, domme in Dutch means stupid so to me it read as "stupid newspaper." That would work too.

Efros
1340941.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Dix
1340942.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote

extremophilesheep wrote:
Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
crissdee wrote:

If I remember correctly about Nemi, they left things like that untranslated on purpose. Dagblad is the same word we have in Dutch for a newspaper (although "krant" is more commonly used). However, domme in Dutch means stupid so to me it read as "stupid newspaper." That would work too.

Would it? What's the Dutch for doomsday?

NinOfEden
1340960.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
crissdee wrote:

Or, for that matter, Domme?

cornixt
1341026.  Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote

I expect the translator/letterer only does the speech bubbles, not other text.

crissdee
1341107.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Re my receent "overnighter" in hospital.

In the next cubicle to me, was a youngish bloke, mid twenties, well-spoken, almost certainly the holder of a degree in something. And yet, from what I could gather from overheard conversation, he was there due to his blind faith in the internet and his own catastrophic stupidity.

He originally presented himself at A&E because he had blown up his laptop. Note, he had not toasted the hard drive, or broken the keyboard, or burnt out the graphics card. His laptop had literally exploded in front of him, and he had come to check whether the shards of plastic and interesting fumes had medically affected him. Now, I don't know what you have to do to to blow up a laptop in a residential apartment (perhaps Efros might hazard a guess) but I would imagine that the words "fucking stupid" would appear somewhere in the scenario.

Anyway, after a thorough examination, they discovered that the level of creatine in his body was rather high. It emerged that, entirely under the guidance of Dr Google, this chap had been self medicating with creatine supplements, unaware that his body could not process it. A normal healthy level of creatine is around 150 somethings. A level of 300 wouuld make medical personnel take action. Care to guess what this chucklehead's level was?

No, higher than that.

19,000!

When informed of this, he pleaded to be allowed home to let it work it's way out of his system. An admirably calm doctor explained that, if he were to allow him home, the chances of death were very high indeed, and he would need to stay in, connected to a drip, in the hope that they could flush it out before his internal organs did a respectable impression of his laptop.

Having accepted that, his prime concern was the availability of a WiFi connection during his stay, and whether he could have a shower, as he hadn't had one since the day before. I should stress that this was not some shambling dolt in a tracksuit, but a reasonably presentable and personable chap. One can only depair for the future of the race.

Efros
1341109.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Laptops do occasionally go bang, primarily due to Li ion batteries.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/laptop-explosion-caught-security-camera-45275096

extremophilesheep
1341172.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
Dix wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
crissdee wrote:

Or, for that matter, Domme?

The Dutch for doomsday is "Dag des Oordeels" which more accurately translates back as Judgement Day.

To me, "domme" is a Dutch word, but it can also be a word in another language with another meaning, obviously.

Page 25 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next