View previous topic | View next topic

Election Lies

Page 10 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Alexander Howard
1338724.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote

The Swedish model was just "big welfare state", and even that was trimmed right down when the country ran out of money.

suze
1338729.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote

What about Cuba? No, the standard of living enjoyed by a Cuban does not compare with that enjoyed by the better off in the developed nations of Northern Europe, although it compares very well indeed with much of the Caribbean. But at the same time, street homelessness is virtually non-existent in Cuba. Neither Britain not the US can say the same.

The healthcare system is by some measures the best in the Americas, and its main problem is doctors being tempted away by American salaries. But infant mortality is at first world levels (and considerably lower than in the US), and the number of children per child-bearing woman is at first world levels.

It would be fair for you to express some skepticism about Cuba's educational attainment figures; if you believe the published figures, it's right up with Japan and South Korea. But at the same time, you won't meet a Cuban who is scareslee litrate and right's like this on her forum cos she dont no any difrent.

Now, there's loads more that I want to say, but I'll split it up a bit into several posts as I go about my evening. I should start by responding to crissdee.

crissdee wrote:
Surely a better plan would be to keep a "rolling" list going, with people being added as they registered, so that whenever we went to the polls, they would have a reasonably up-to-date list.

Local authorities produce an interim electoral register each month from January to August. It's based on the December publication, but adds in people who are newly registered and removes people who actually tell the council that they are leaving the area, or who are reported to them as having died. That interim register isn't published as such, but it's available for inspection at the council offices.

This is not done in Sep, Oct, and Nov, because the electoral services staff are busy compiling the new definitive register for December. That is based on the annual canvassing exercise, and voters do need to re-register each year or they risk being taken off the list. (And also risk being fined, because as noted it is compulsory to register to vote, much as it is not compulsory actually to do it.)

This does mean that a person who registers in September won't get onto the register until December - but hitherto this has never been a problem because elections are not normally held in the later part of the year.

crissdee wrote:
suze wrote:
HFMMOG

???????

HMMOG stands for Holy Mary Mother Of God, a rather Catholic expression of surprise. If you were to take one guess about the F, well it would be correct.

PDR
1338733.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Fenestrated?

PDR

suze
1338735.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote

That was it, yes. The expression means "Oh lawks a mussy me, Our Lady appears to have been thrown in through a window".

Now, moving on to the next thing I wanted to say, here are three posts which impinged themselves on my social media today.

"If you are a working class person who voted Tory and you are pleased with the result, well you are not just a turkey thatís voted for Christmas, you are a dinosaur that has voted for a meteorite. You personally deserve everything you have coming." (The writer Matt Coyne.)

"This election was all about Brexit, and Brexit has been fuelled by racism and xenophobia. This is the path we are on and itís a majority licence for the Tories to continue their policies of cruelty, damage and desolation." (This fellow is a Professor of Sociology.)

"A guy came in the shop this morning and said he was 'well happy'. He thinks Boris is a 'toffee nosed twat', but he's 'going to cut our taxes in half and kick the Pakis out'." (This was written by a fellow called Ben whom I actually know. Ben is the manager of a bookmaker's shop, and has told me before that attitudes such as this customer's are not rare among his clientele.)

Is that delightful fellow going to become a problem for Mr Johnson? He doesn't really want the votes of people like that, but they have probably deserted UKIP for him and they will expect him to do what they suggest.

tetsabb
1338737.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Will this mean Farage leaving public life (again)?

crissdee
1338740.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote

I should have guessed that acronym. I used to have a manager who was a native of the Emerald Isle, and his favourite expression oof frustration was always;
"Jaysus Mary Mother of God, are you not done yet?"

suze
1338741.  Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Will this mean Farage leaving public life (again)?

Lord knows. He is reported to have a speaking tour of the US lined up, and if he has the right people organising that for him he should make quite a lot of money out of it. He's also made himself available to campaign for Donald Trump's re-election next year, although it's not yet clear whether the Donald will take him up on that.

As for British politics, he has registered the name "The Reform Party". There are conflicting reports as whether that will be a renaming of the Brexit Party or whether it will be a new vehicle, or whether indeed he's just registered the name so that no one else can but won't actually do anything with it.

When Farage walked away from UKIP this time last year, I rather hoped that he would not follow the path of such as Galloway and Kilroy-Silk and launch a series of ever less credible parties. Sadly that seems to be his plan, but I hope even more that he will not prostitute himself to eating bugs in Australia or showing just how bad a dancer he is. On the other hand, a series about country pubs called Down The Boozer With Nigel might actually be quite entertaining.

Many here will know that I am slightly acquainted with Nigel Farage, although I don't think I've spoken to him this calendar year. I disagree with him about almost everything - grammar schools the notable exception - but I don't dislike him. He's not in the most robust of health, and if I'm honest I'd be happiest if he did just accept that he has achieved his life's ambition and retire to the country. Only thing is, he's twice divorced, he's only 55 - that he looks older may be a comment on his lifestyle - and I'm not sure that he can afford it yet.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1338769.  Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote

The Election map is below

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/2019UKElectionMap.svg

If Labour are ever to win they must start working to appeal to the rural voters, who tend to vote Tory.

Corbyn needs to go now. He is an embarrassment. He knew his stance would damage Labour. They did worse than their result back in 1983. Only in 1935 did they do worse than now.

Now that the Tories have a comfortable majority Brexit will happen. They are on a war path with the SNP now about Scottish Independence.

Alexander Howard
1390339.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote

A massive federal general election, held across several time zones, voters queuing in the cities and country in the deep Autumn snow, as a dominant, incumbent leader seeks a new majority mandate in a time of uncertainty.

Can his immense personal popularity fail this time? Will the opposition break through and overturn all those years of his rule? Of course not: it's Russia.

suze
1390383.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote

You'll never guess what, but Mr Putin's party believes that it has won the election and will have two thirds of the seats in the new Gosduma.

But I did wonder whether you were talking about Canada, which country goes to the polls today. It's looking very close, and Canada may be about to get a male PM with a girls' name - although he is unlikely to secure a majority.

barbados
1390384.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
You'll never guess what, but Mr Putin's party believes that it has won the election and will have two thirds of the seats in the new Gosduma.

Only two thirds eh?
one would have thought it would be four thirds ;)

Alexander Howard
1390441.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote

A massive federal general election, held across several time zones, voters queuing in the cities and country in the deep Autumn snow, as a dominant, incumbent leader seeks a new majority mandate in a time of uncertainty. Can his immense personal popularity fail this time? Will the opposition break through and overturn all those years of his rule? Apparently not in Canada either (but a democratic win, unlike Russia).

The guy got in again, eh.

Quite Interestingly, if Erin O'Toole had become Prime Minister, he would have been the only ever head of government in the English-speaking world to have a name beginning with the Irish O' prefix - there has not even been a Taoiseach with an O'.

Not the only head of government in the whole world though: Bernardo O'Higgins was Supreme Director of Chile from 1817.

Brock
1390485.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

Quite Interestingly, if Erin O'Toole had become Prime Minister, he would have been the only ever head of government in the English-speaking world to have a name beginning with the Irish O' prefix - there has not even been a Taoiseach with an O'.

What about Barack O'Bama? :-)

suze
1390520.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
A massive federal general election, held across several time zones, voters queuing in the cities and country in the deep Autumn snow, as a dominant, incumbent leader seeks a new majority mandate in a time of uncertainty. Can his immense personal popularity fail this time? Will the opposition break through and overturn all those years of his rule? Apparently not in Canada either (but a democratic win, unlike Russia)

The election in Canada turned out even more boring than had been expected!

Few in Canada were very enthusiastic about an election less than two years after the last one, and the general expectation was that not much would change.

It really didn't. BQ (the Quťbec Nationalist Party) has gained two seats and the NDP (ie Labour) has gained one. The Green Party has lost one and the Conservatives of Erin O'Toole have lost two. The Liberal Party of Justin Trudeau has won precisely the same number of seats it did at the last election, and will continue in government without a majority.

There might be a coalition deal to be done between the Liberals and NDP, but that idea has been floated and rejected before and neither party seems very excited about the possibility. Mr Trudeau has been content to govern without a majority before, and will probably do so once again.

One American newspaper found the whole thing so boring that it led its coverage with Justin Trudeau's tattoo. That's not news in Canada since his inkage is well known, but it seems to amuse Americans every time.

jaygeemack
1390563.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

"If you are a working class person who voted Tory and you are pleased with the result, well you are not just a turkey thatís voted for Christmas, you are a dinosaur that has voted for a meteorite.Ē

Unfortunately, we donít have the CO2 to kill the turkey; we donít have the CO2 to preserve it; we donít have the money to pay for it; we donít have the lorry drivers to transport it and we donít have the gas to cook it.

Page 10 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10