View previous topic | View next topic

Election Lies

Page 8 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

crissdee
1338601.  Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Still have not received a polling card, and am beginning to suspect my registration may have got lost in the system. In point of fact, I am still far from sure that I will excercise my franchise anyway. If I do, it will be only the second time I have done so since earning it*. Despite learning more about the business since joining this happy band than I ever did before that time, I still cannot honestly claim to have any meaningful opinion on the matter, and I do firmly believe that an aimless vote is as "wasted" as an unused one.

*The only time heretofore was a "protest vote" prior to the handgun ban, for a party who I was fairly sure would not wish to take away my guns, and was even more convinced would struggle to retain their deposit.

barbados
1338604.  Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm most definitely opting out this time round, for the first time in 32 years.
I really can't bring myself to join in to something I simply do not believe in. I have no candidate that even qualifies as a "least worse" option. The Lib Dem candidate - who I would normally opt for hasn't even bothered with a mailshot, so why on earth should I bother to vote for him if he can't even be bothered to ask me? Not that I would this time round, I would not normally look beyond local politics, but their attitude toward brexit is not something that I could bring myself to support.

Spike
1338606.  Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
why on earth should I bother to vote for him if he can't even be bothered to ask me? ... but their attitude toward brexit is not something that I could bring myself to support.

Sums up my local Conservative candidate nicely. And he's a smug git.

barbados
1338619.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote

Which bit? The bothering to ask, or the attitude towards brexit?

Spike
1338620.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote

Both.

Spike
1338621.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote

Both. It's a safe Conservative seat, so they barely bothered campaigning. The only canvasser we've had round was a Lib Dem. I'm hoping smug git's majority takes a beating.

suze
1338654.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote

You had one more at the door than we did, and of the six candidates in our riding only two even bothered with their mailshot.

All the same, business was brisk at the polling station. There had been some concern that turnout in a winter election might be low, especially on a not-very-nice day such as today, but there are indications from all parts of the country that in fact it's looking higher than had been anticipated.

Most of the party leaders have had the traditional photo opportunity going to vote. Not Farage, who states that he voted by post. He's not going to tell us, but it would be interesting to know who he voted for given that there is no Brexit Party candidate in the Orpington riding in which he lives.

crissdee
1338655.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I happened to wander past our polling station today, and decided to pop in to find out why I had not even recieved a polling card. It seems that, despite me having filled in the form to register shortly after having moved in here, I am not, in fact, on the list. As I had no real intention of voting, this is not a particular issue, but I will follow it up, as I am given to understand (by Mr McLaren, formerly of this parish) that it is a legal requirement to be registered, and having done my part, I would like to know why the electoral office have not done theirs.

Regarding my non-excercise of the franchise.

As some of you may remember, I have a portrait of myself, done in a late-Victorian/early Edwardian style. My friend pointed out that the man in that portrait would most certainly have voted. I agreed, but pointed out that he would have had people of honour and integrity to vote for, and a well-founded belief that they would be working for the public good if elected.

I have neither of those things.

suze
1338657.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote

There is a possible explanation for the first part. A new edition of the Register of Electors is published on 1 December each year, based on a canvass which is usually carried out during the summer. The date of 1 December was chosen for this precisely because elections are "never" held in December and so there isn't the potential for confusion that there would be if it were 1 May.

Because most of the country sends out polling cards three weeks before the election, these had to be sent to the persons who appeared on last year's Register of Electors - but those eligible to vote are of course those who appear on the new version.

Some local authorities published the new Register a couple of weeks early so that polling cards could be sent to the right people. That makes a lot of sense, but because it had never arisen before some other local authorities weren't completely convinced that it's legal and so chose not to do it.

But yes, in your case someone seems to have screwed up somewhere. Give them a few days because they'll be rather busy today and tomorrow, but it's certainly something that you ought to pursue with the Electoral Services Office for Powys.

Spike
1338658.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
You had one more at the door than we did

TBH, he's the first canvasser we've had a the door for over 20 years.

suze
1338672.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote

The exit poll gives the Conservative Party a majority of 86. It has been right at the last two elections, when it predicted a result that was not in line with expectations.

I find it difficult to welcome the five years of far right government which now seem likely.

Awitt
1338674.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Quote:
It seems that, despite me having filled in the form to register shortly after having moved in here, I am not, in fact, on the list.

In Australia, voting is compulsory though there are a number who refuse to do so for various reasons that I won't go into here.
We also have both Federal and state elections at all times of the year and enrollments close about three-four weeks before the election so the rolls have a chance to be updated.

Also whenever moving house, a form must be filled out - I've had to do one this year - declaring the new address is now the new and permanent address.

barbados
1338675.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote

It is possibly the least worse outcome really though

suze
1338677.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Do you think so?

Will you think so in five years from now when the NHS has been abolished, welfare benefits have been abolished, apartheid has been introduced, and Scotland has gone off on its own merry way?

Now, you're going to say that the previous sentence is arrant nonsense and none of those things could possibly happen. But if Donald Trump tells Mr Johnson that the first is a non-negotiable requirement of a trade deal, it will happen. It's no secret that some of the far right within the Conservative Party quite like the idea of the second. The third seems the least likely - except that Mr Johnson is our first openly racist Prime Minister since Mrs Thatcher, so who knows any more.

As for the fourth, the exit poll has the SNP taking 55 of the 59 seats that there are in Scotland. There is a slim but non-zero probability that they could take every single one. (A use of the binomial theorem which is mathematical nonsense but in practice reasonably valid puts that probability at about 2%.)

If Mr Johnson does as he currently says that he will do, and refuses to allow Scotland a new referendum on independence even in the light of those numbers, then he is no more than a dictator. If there is a referendum, it has to be likely that Scotland will vote to leave us. How that sits with the Conservative and Unionist Party, you would need to ask a supporter. If you can find one under 70.

Oh, and the DUP considers that Mr Johnson's revised EU deal is a unilateral repudiation of the Good Friday Agreement. Are you not concerned about the possible consequences of that?

barbados
1338678.  Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote

The very worst outcome would be either of the two main parties to come out with 320 seats. That would be disasterous, because we will end up with absolutely nothing being done.
The next worse would (as a traditional Lib Dem voter) a Lib Dem majority, because they really have no policies at all - which for a third party (of those that can govern) is ridiculous, they should be (and have in the past) the most dynamic of the parties, because they have nothing to lose.
Following that, a Labour majority would bankrupt the country, and while that might be a traditional view of teachers (spend more money than we have) it actually does nothing for the welfare of the nation, particularly with the current labour party, that see the likes of Siobhan McDonagh and Hilary Benn as persona non grata.
So yes, it is the least worse.
And, if you feel confident, I am willing to have a small wager, where should welfaree benefits be abolosihed, should the NHS be abolished, shoul apartheid be introduced, or Scotland leaves the Union I will donate 20 for each to a charity of your choice, and for each of those that don't happen you can match it for a charity of my choice.

Page 8 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next