View previous topic | View next topic

Empire

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

samivel
84668.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
If the German word Reich is translated as empire, the Nazi Empire was an Empire.
The trouble is that Reich can be translated in at least eleven different ways: State, empire, kingdom, nation, land, region, country, realm, commonwealth, domain, and res publica.

Maybe this is why most English language history books don't translate it.

barbados
84698.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Gaazy wrote:
When I was nobbut a lad, 'Made in Hong Kong' marked on goods meant 'junk'.

So the makers changed the inscription on these curiously breakable plastic gewjaws to 'Empire Made'.

It still meant 'junk'.

In our family, 'madeinhongkong' was in itself an adjective, meaning crappy.

Just like "made in china" is today.

Although you do get some rather good crockery made in china these days.

bobofel
88573.  Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote

And some very good crockery made in China a while ago...

Particurarly vases...

Tas
88586.  Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

Naaaah.....they were Ming-ing!

I'm sorry.....I'll leave.

:-)

Tas

Kingbarney
88918.  Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote

Would count ecomonic empires? E.g USA

bobofel
88920.  Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote

E.g China?

<Points to big gap in China-US trade>

Curious Danny
594945.  Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote

Imperialism - good thing or bad thing?

exnihilo
608772.  Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Stumbled upon an interesting site for those with a penchant for monarchs and monarchy, which features this detailed exposition on emperors and imperial titles and which, notably, addresses all the three year old concerns about their usage in Japan.

Peregrine Arkwright
609105.  Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:

The Nazis did (of course) not refer to Nazi Germany as Nazi Germany but as Deutsches Reich - German Empire (later on: Großdeutsches Reich - Greater German Empire). Furthermore, in propaganda the Nazi Party used the term Drittes Reich to connect their regime to the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation - Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation (962-1628) and the Second German Empire - Zweites Deutsches Kaiserreich (1871-1918).

As I drive down the M20 with its Autobahn-style signage, passing the constant stream of Mercedes, Volkswagens, Audis, BMWs, then note that my water company is now German-owned, observe the identifier "DB Schenker" on most of our freight trains, drink German-style beer, note how Franco-German Airbus is supplying more and more of our jet aircraft, I do get a sense of living in the Fourth Reich. If we join the Euro, thus transferring our central banking reserves to Frankfurt, the process will be almost complete.

Peregrine Arkwright

Jenny
609234.  Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote

This is an interesting support for my theory that there is no such thing as a military victory.

Posital
609239.  Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Victoria and her successors were styled Emperors of India from 1876 right up to the late Queen Mum. I've seen it asserted that one reason for this was so that Victoria wouldn't be outranked by her daughter Victoria, who was Empress of Germany by virtue of her marriage to Friedrich III.

She (Victoria) took the title from Bahadur Shah II - badshah - being translated as emperor - and "of India" being assumed.

Mauryan "Emperor" - Ashoka the Great - is an interesting story. Did I mention the bollywood film? Oh, ok. But this was a few thousand years earlier...

Curious Danny
609350.  Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:

As I drive down the M20 with its Autobahn-style signage, passing the constant stream of Mercedes, Volkswagens, Audis, BMWs, then note that my water company is now German-owned, observe the identifier "DB Schenker" on most of our freight trains, drink German-style beer, note how Franco-German Airbus is supplying more and more of our jet aircraft, I do get a sense of living in the Fourth Reich. If we join the Euro, thus transferring our central banking reserves to Frankfurt, the process will be almost complete.

Peregrine Arkwright

I do hope that is said in jest. So much shit is written about the EU. By the way, when your services are supplied by a private company, there is little difference if the owners are German, British or Mongolian. Companies don't favour there customers if they live in the same country as the board of directors.

T J Alex
654497.  Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote

Curious Danny wrote:
Imperialism - good thing or bad thing?

I'd say that the Roman Empire was pretty much a good thing for its inhabitants,the Moghul Empire less so.

ted4
723851.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote

Most Empires are normally built from theft as was the British Empire

CB27
723871.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote

Where do you draw the line though.

Is invasion of a land and calling it part of your own, an act of theft? Does that not mean that there can't be countries?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next