View previous topic | View next topic

Empire

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

grizzly
84476.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote

Empire would an excellent subject for an entire show. Especially because you can range out over topics that wont normally fit into the "E" series.

There's already plenty of QI stuff in the British Empire thread started in the QIstrings board.

Just think of all the different areas for discussion:

Roman Empire
Aztec Empire
Chinese Empire
Egyptian Empire
Incan Empire
Ottoman Empire
Babylonian Empire
Soviet Empire
Nazi Empire

If you can't find anything QI in that list and the rest on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire

then I wont believe it.

Ameena
84479.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote

And the Empire from "Star Wars"! :D

grizzly
84480.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote

Yes, there must be plenty of fictional empires (plenty from Middle-Earth I expect as well).

suze
84493.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote

And then there is the only one which still exists, and the bizarre attempt to invent a new one in Africa in the 1970s.

grizzly
84499.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote

According to Wiki, the French, British and Dutch all have remaining territories.

Flash
84500.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote

And the Japanese have a remaining Emperor.

Tas
84503.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote

Was Nazi Germany an Empire? I thought that Hitler was Chancellor, thus there was no Empire, as an Empire is ruled by an Emperor/Empress...or suitable monarch-type?

:-)

Tas

grizzly
84507.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote

The above wiki article has a lot of debate as to what precisely is an empire and what isn't.

However, there are plenty of what we call empires that have not had Emporers. Indeed I expect that the majority of empires that I listed before probably did not have "emporers".

suze
84514.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote

Flash has hit one of my nails on the head - Japan is the one country which still has an Emperor, and so presumably reckons it is an Empire.

Britain, France and the Netherlands do still have colonies - and they are not the only countries which do - but they are careful not to use words like "Empire" and certainly don't have anyone called "Emperor".

While Hitler was not a monarch and never actually talked about an Empire in so many words, that might only have been a matter of time had he remained in power...

Which brings me on to Jean Bedel Bokassa, to whom I alluded earlier. This megalomaniac was originally a member of the French Foreign Legion, and staged a coup d'Útat in the Central African Republic in 1965 - in which he seized power from his uncle. By 1972, he had declared himself President For Life - and in 1977 he proclaimed himself Emperor Bokassa I and had a rather ridiculous coronation ceremony modelled on that of Napoleon. (The Queen was invited, but pleaded a subsequent engagement.)

A French-backed coup removed him two years later, and reinstalled the uncle. Bokassa fled the country and was granted asylum in France, because of his Legion background. He died in 1996.

His country was and remains one of the poorest in the world, and torture of opponents was well documented. It has been alleged, although without proof, that he was in the habit of eating particularly reviled opponents.

grizzly
84517.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote

Apparently he spent $20m on the ceremony, 1/3 of the countries national income at the time.

Flash
84521.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Japan is the one country which still has an Emperor, and so presumably reckons it is an Empire

Although "emperor" is an English word which has arguably never been an accurate rendition of the Japanese "tenno", so it may be unfair to suggest that it has all the same historical baggage.

Gaazy
84527.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote

When I was nobbut a lad, 'Made in Hong Kong' marked on goods meant 'junk'.

So the makers changed the inscription on these curiously breakable plastic gewjaws to 'Empire Made'.

It still meant 'junk'.

In our family, 'madeinhongkong' was in itself an adjective, meaning crappy.

suze
84536.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Although "emperor" is an English word which has arguably never been an accurate rendition of the Japanese "tenno", so it may be unfair to suggest that it has all the same historical baggage.

That's a fair point Flash. But - since WWII if not earlier - the Japanese have been aware of the Western World and have had the opportunity to suggest that we should style their monarch "King".

That they have not done so suggests - to me at least - that they do not object to the things that go with "Emperor".

grizzly
84586.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
When I was nobbut a lad, 'Made in Hong Kong' marked on goods meant 'junk'.

So the makers changed the inscription on these curiously breakable plastic gewjaws to 'Empire Made'.

It still meant 'junk'.

In our family, 'madeinhongkong' was in itself an adjective, meaning crappy.

Just like "made in china" is today.

Hans Mof
84656.  Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Was Nazi Germany an Empire? I thought that Hitler was Chancellor, thus there was no Empire, as an Empire is ruled by an Emperor/Empress...or suitable monarch-type?

If the German word Reich is translated as empire, the Nazi Empire was an Empire.
The trouble is that Reich can be translated in at least eleven different ways: State, empire, kingdom, nation, land, region, country, realm, commonwealth, domain, and res publica.

The Nazis did (of course) not refer to Nazi Germany as Nazi Germany but as Deutsches Reich - German Empire (later on: Gro▀deutsches Reich - Greater German Empire). Furthermore, in propaganda the Nazi Party used the term Drittes Reich to connect their regime to the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation - Heiliges R÷misches Reich Deutscher Nation (962-1628) and the Second German Empire - Zweites Deutsches Kaiserreich (1871-1918).

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next