View previous topic | View next topic

The world's bloodiest TV show

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1340884.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 am Reply with quote

This could possibly go in Series R if you are doing an episode about stuff being R-Rated.

The reason being that while there are various TV shows that have a lot of death in them, with Rick and Morty reportedly being the most deadly with 26.1 death per episode as of their third season.

However, if you were to ask the question: "What is the bloodiest TV show in the world?", as in which show actually depicts the most blood in it, I would put forward the argument that it is actually a Japanese anime called Cells at Work!

The reason for this is because the characters in Cells at Work! are the cells of the human body. It is an educational series all about the body, and an example of "moe anthropomorphism", which is to cutely anthropomorphise something that isn't human. Thus the main characters are humanised versions of the cells, with the two lead figures being a Red Blood Cell who is clumsy and always getting lost, and a White Blood Cell protecting the body from invading bacteria. The most of the stories concern them and thus blood is almost always on screen, even though it doesn't look like blood.

It is not the only such TV show. There is a French animated series called Once Upon a Time... Life from 1987, which also anthropomorhpises the cells of the body. However, while in that series the White Blood Cells are armed with batons to attack bacteria, in Cells at Work! they have knives and actually slash up their enemies, meaning that actual blood is shed too. Despite this violence, the Blu-Ray release of the series which came out today in the UK has a PG-rating.

Sources: The Independent (for source on Rick and Morty deaths), Anime UK News (a review I wrote of the recent Blu-Ray release)

dylan795
1340897.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote

Surely Spartacus and OZ get honorable mentions, just visceral violence start to finish, almost unwatchable at times.

Ian Dunn
1340901.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote

I've not seen those so can't really comment on them. I suppose one issue regarding all this as a possible question is the difference between "bloody" and "gory". I just mean the show where blood of some kind appears most frequently.

dylan795
1340911.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote

Lots of blood to be seen in both, honestly turned me right off, i now have to have at least a look at cells at work sounds interesting.

tetsabb
1340912.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote

OZ was certainly very violent, with people being stabbed, bludgeoned and, in one case, bricked up in a wall cavity. But only half a dozen or so per episode.
Brilliant series.

Ian Dunn
1340923.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote

dylan795 wrote:
Lots of blood to be seen in both, honestly turned me right off, i now have to have at least a look at cells at work sounds interesting.

Well, if you want to stream Cells at Work! rather than buying the Blu-Ray, the entire first series is available on the anime streaming service Crunchyroll. I think non-members can watch it but have to go through adverts. However, because I'm already a member I get given a "Guest Pass" every so often. I think my next one comes today/tomorrow, so if you like I can email you the pass when it arrives.

There are also a fair number of clips of the series on YouTube (some Japanese with and without subtitles, some dubbed into English).

cornixt
1340926.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote

It's on Netflix in the US.

The actual plots and characters are goofy anime tropes, but the series is pretty educational about what particular cells do in the human body, albeit it takes a single paragraph from an encyclopedia and takes 22 minutes to tell you about it. Lots of pop-up boxes in Japanese that describe more detail, which for reason are not translated into English at all.

Once Upon a Time...Life was much more education per episode, although how good the show is might be clouded by the fact that I last saw it as a child.

dr.bob
1340991.  Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote

Minor quibble: Could a show which features magnified individual blood cells be argued as containing less blood than a show which features full-sized humans bleeding all over the place? After all, individual blood cells are pretty tiny, whereas a full sized human, even bleeding a small amount, will effectively be showing millions of blood cells.

Ian Dunn
1340993.  Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 am Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking of the amount of time blood is shown on screen rather than the total amount of blood that is spilt. It is possible I guess to have multiple answers to the question: while Cells at Work! has blood in some form on screen nearly all the time, even if in reality it is a tiny amount, a show like OZ seems to have a larger amount of blood in total. I guess it depends on how you phrase or interpret the question.

QI has done this with questions in the past, e.g. "What's the world's biggest flasher?" in the 'Flotsam and Jetsam' episode, where there were two answers.

ETA: Also, in Cells at Work!, blood is actually spilled. When bacteria and viruses appear the cells the make up the immune system kill it, with blood splattered. For example, the first seen in which White Blood Cell appears sees him being covered in blood when he saves Red Blood Cell from attack pneumococcus bacteria. If you go to the review I wrote in the original post you can see an image of WBC being bloodstained.

cornixt
1341024.  Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote

Volume of blood shown vs screentime given to blood. Maybe it would count as the biggest ratio between those values where neither is zero.

They should do a spin-off where they anthropomorphise the insides of the virus/cells. And then a level deeper than that.

Ian Dunn
1341031.  Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote

I think that might be a tad tricky, but Cells at Work! already has lots of spin-offs. These include Bacteria at Work, Cells That Don't Work, and Cells at Work! Code Black, the last of which is set in the body of someone with an unhealthy livestyle, and unlike the PG-rated original is considered suitable for adults only.

dr.bob
1341082.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
It is possible I guess to have multiple answers to the question: while Cells at Work! has blood in some form on screen nearly all the time, even if in reality it is a tiny amount, a show like OZ seems to have a larger amount of blood in total. I guess it depends on how you phrase or interpret the question.

Quite so. Thinking about it, if we base it on the volume of blood, then a show that features a giant doing a pin-prick blood test might rank as the bloodiest show of all time :)

dylan795
1341096.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote

only seeing that now Ian id never pass up a free pass if its still going thanks

cornixt
1341104.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
It is possible I guess to have multiple answers to the question: while Cells at Work! has blood in some form on screen nearly all the time, even if in reality it is a tiny amount, a show like OZ seems to have a larger amount of blood in total. I guess it depends on how you phrase or interpret the question.

Quite so. Thinking about it, if we base it on the volume of blood, then a show that features a giant doing a pin-prick blood test might rank as the bloodiest show of all time :)

Sounds like a spin-off of Attack on Titan (which does have a fairly large blood volume count on its own).

Ian Dunn
1341105.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote

dylan795 wrote:
only seeing that now Ian id never pass up a free pass if its still going thanks

I think I made a mistaker and the free pass is not available yet, but I'll send you a private message once it does arrive.

cornixt wrote:
dr.bob wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Sounds like a spin-off of Attack on Titan (which does have a fairly large blood volume count on its own).

Yes I was also thinking that. For those who don't know, Attack on Titan is another anime series, namely a horror about people fighting man-eating giants.

Page 1 of 1