View previous topic | View next topic

Kosher Food

Page 1 of 1

Qiuncey
9784.  Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote

Just a question on the kosher question. I thought that Kosher prevented the eating of insects and thus Locusts. Interestingly it's ok to eat part of an insect as long as you don't divide the insect to get around the insect rule in the first place. Not being Jewish I don't know if this is true.

Massingberd
9789.  Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote

This seems somewhat akin to the rural rule (the legal force of which I shall investigate) that a pheasant or deer killed by a car may not be taken for the pot by the driver of that car, but may be picked up by the driver of any following vehicle (and taken, perhaps, to the Roadkill Cafe). The doer of the deed may not benefit but the co-religionist / co-traveller may.

Can someone other than the ingestor divide the locust, in full knowledge that his guest will promptly devour both parts, or is consumption wholly contingent upon fortuitous locust segmentation?

The guardians of Orthodox Judaism seem remarkably adept at justifying derogations from first principle. I am fascinated by the recent creation of a vast eruv (pl. eruvim) in North West London in order to circumvent the paralysing impracticality of the rule against the carrying of any item (even keys or medicine) outside the home on the Sabbath.

If an area is sufficiently enclosed, it may in effect constitute one home, thereby allowing the carrying of certain items. North London is a bit short on natural boundaries, so the Orthodox Jews have erected an 11 mile long wire perimeter, the intactness of which must be checked prior to every Sabbath.

There is an Eruv Hotline to report any gaps, and the website has a traffic light to indicate the eruv's status. It is currently on amber.

http://nwlondoneruv.org/index.shtml

Cleverina Clogs
9860.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote

Being Jewish myself I know there are certain rules about insects and kashrut (dietary laws), however not being a big silly I don't want to eat insects in the first place, and consequently am not 100% certain about these rules!

Btw, not only is reindeer kosher, but so is the giraffe!

Page 1 of 1