View previous topic | View next topic

R-people

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1328939.  Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote

A thread for people whose names begin with "R" - first or second name.

An Edinburgh art museum has a room named after a fetishist.

To be exact, the Scottish National Portrait Gallery has renamed its photography gallery, "The Robert Mapplethorpe Photography Gallery". If the name rings a bell, Robert Mapplethorpe was once mentioned on QI before, when John Sessions referred to him as the "ass jockey" - because Mapplethorpe was famous for his photos of the gay leather subculture in New York, and one of his most famous photos was of himself wearing leather chaps and sticking a whip up his backside. This photo is currently on display in the gallery.

Sources: National Galleries 1 and 2 (both SFW).

ehruparelia
1329027.  Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote

Matt Smith just recently started in a biopic called Mapplethorpe if you wanted to investigate his work further...

Ian Dunn
1329028.  Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote

I didnít know about this. Iíll have to watch it.

EDIT: I just looked this film on Wikipedia and seemed like it was a flop (31% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Ian Dunn
1331874.  Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote

Snooker player Neil Robertson had to forfeit a World Open qualifier because his sat-nav sent him to the wrong place.

Robertson's match was in Barnsey, but instead of taking him to the town in Yorkshire (population 91,297 according to the last census), it instead sent him to a identically named village in Gloucestershire (population 209), 170 miles away. By the time he realised his mistake, he knew it would be too late to make in time for the match, and he withdrew.

To make things odder, this is a tournament that Robertson has played before, even playing in the same venue, so he should have known where it was, but his excuse was: "A friend always drives me to qualifiers but he selfishly entered a Challenge Tour event this weekend."

Earlier this year, Robertson and several other players also had to withdraw from the Riga Masters in Latvia due to a cancelled plane flight.

Source: BBC

Ian Dunn
1340548.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote

Leonard Rossiter was so keen to keep fit that he once took his milkman with him on a family holiday to have a suitable standard of squash player to face with three times a day.

Rossiter was also such a perfectionist that his criticisms of other people lost him work. He had been offered the part of Sgt. Major Williams in It Ain't Half Hot Mum by writters Jimmy Perry & David Croft. Rossiter thus went to a meeting with them at the BBC, met Croft, got a lift with him from the ground to the fourth floor, and during the lift trip Rossiter crammed so many criticisms and demands that he talked himself out of the part.

Rossiter continued to talk and complain as he met Perry, Croft getting angrier as Rossiter went on, until Perry had to eject Rossiter, "before David exploded!"

Source: British Comedy Guide

crissdee
1340551.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Leonard Rossiter was so keen to keep fit that he once took his milkman with him on a family holiday to have a suitable standard of squash player to face with three times a day.

I read somewhere that he was one of very few people who could give Jahangir Khan a decent match. Sadly, it didn't seem to have done him much good, as he died of a heart attack (iirc) before he reached 60.

Jenny
1340575.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote

I saw Leonard Rossiter play Richard III on stage once - he was magnificent.

tetsabb
1340579.  Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote

My family and I saw Mr Rossiter perform in a couple of light faeces on stage in London, probably late 70s. He was very good, but I have read stories that he was a bit of a curmudgeon in real life, and that Rigsby in Rising Damp did not require him to act much.
He also had a bit part in 2001 a Space Odyssey, playing a Russian on a space station.

Jenny
1340680.  Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
My family and I saw Mr Rossiter perform in a couple of light faeces on stage in London, probably late 70s.

Were they that bad?

lukejsdavis
1345888.  Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Robespierre is an interesting one. Wrote love poetry and had a dog called Brount. And interestingly made a speech in strong opposition to the death penalty.

Alexander Howard
1346065.  Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote

lukejsdavis wrote:
Robespierre is an interesting one. Wrote love poetry and had a dog called Brount. And interestingly made a speech in strong opposition to the death penalty.

Did he make his speech against the death penalty while he was dishing it out, or just as he was being dragged into the tumbril himself?

lukejsdavis
1346413.  Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
lukejsdavis wrote:

Did he make his speech against the death penalty while he was dishing it out, or just as he was being dragged into the tumbril himself?

22 June 1791 - https://www.marxists.org/history/france/revolution/robespierre/1791/death-penalty.htm - though it should be added, of course, that he didn't oppose it for crimes such as treason, as was evident during the Terror.

Page 1 of 1