View previous topic | View next topic

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Page 4 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

mckeonj
188784.  Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote

Gaazy (welcome back by the way)!
Your minirant about windmills reminded me that Cervante's 'Don Quixote' had a thing about windmills, he reckoned they were a blot on the landscape and set about destroying them.
s_d!
If you are not familiar with the good Don Quixote, I suggest you read him as soon as possible, and let us know what you conclude.

sushil_yadav
188840.  Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote

npower1 wrote:
I haven't actually read the articles but the titles/explanations so far suggest that it is a rerun of the book Affluensa by Oliver James which I've just finished reading.
Maybe this type of thing should be moved to the thread for members web sites/blogs???

npower1,

My article is about two things - the first half is about "mind"/psychology and the second half is about environmental destruction. The article explains how Industrial Society is making our minds more and more restless - and destroying the environment.

You are right when you point out the similarity with Affluenza. I have participated in forum/ blog discussions on Affluenza.

Consumerist lifestyle has made us restless and has led to destruction of all ecosystems. This is a prime example of General Ignorance.

sushil_yadav

mckeonj
188862.  Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote

The following link may help to resolve some issues raised here:
http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=sushil_yadav&t=1000

Flash
188904.  Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Accusations of hypocrisy are an ad hominem argument, though - so inherently fallacious, IMO. What needs to be addressed is whether Sushil_yadev's arguments have merit, not whether s/he personally follows them to their logical conclusion.

dr.bob
189233.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote

sushil_yadav wrote:
Consumerist lifestyle has made us restless and has led to destruction of all ecosystems.

All ecosystems? I think that might be a very slight exaggeration.

AlmondFacialBar
189244.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Accusations of hypocrisy are an ad hominem argument, though - so inherently fallacious, IMO. What needs to be addressed is whether Sushil_yadev's arguments have merit, not whether s/he personally follows them to their logical conclusion.

i absolutely agree. neo, however, had already gone ad hominem and i merely endeavoured to explain what i would think yer man's motivations are.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Neotenic
189249.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote

Um...that wasn't me. ;-)

Given Flash's intervention, I was waiting to see what s_y's response was before commenting further.

However, I would add that on another of the labyrinthine posts he linked to, he advocated the cessation of production of 99% of all consumer goods, which is what prompted my question about PC power.

Curious Danny
189251.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote

sushil_yadav wrote:
Neotenic wrote:
sushil_yadav wrote:
[most of the consumer goods have existed for only 50 - 100 years]

Are you suggesting that we all lived a hunter-gather existence in caves in 1906? I can think of numoerous consumer goods that were available then.

In using your PC, are you not breaking your own rules?

If you don't read properly it is your problem - not mine. You did'nt notice that the line contains the word "most" - most of the consumer goods have existed for only 50 - 100 years.

Would you like to compare your ecological footprint with my ecological footprint. Let us find out who is a bigger burden on earth.

sushil_yadav

Has anyone looked at sushil_yadav account details? India makes a living out of mass producing consumer products! I'm pretty sure that their is a huge cloud of smog hovering over South-East Asia. That can't be good for the enviroment!
Pot, Kettle, Black. Shouldn't you take this up with the Indian Government?

AlmondFacialBar
189258.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote

Curious Danny wrote:
Has anyone looked at sushil_yadav account details? India makes a living out of mass producing consumer products! I'm pretty sure that their is a huge cloud of smog hovering over South-East Asia. That can't be good for the enviroment!
Pot, Kettle, Black. Shouldn't you take this up with the Indian Government?

now that IS below the belt, imho anyway. so the guy can't have an ecological conscience because his government doesn't? not to mention that it is infinitely easier for industries here in europe to be environmentally friendly than in a threshold economy like india.

Neotenic wrote:
Um...that wasn't me. ;-)

um... no? ;-)

Neotenic wrote:
sushil_yadav wrote:
Would you like to compare your ecological footprint with my ecological footprint. Let us find out who is a bigger burden on earth.

That sounds like fun.

I don't drive, for starters, and travel pretty much exclusively by public transport. I've taken less than 20 flights in my life, and the last two times I've been to France has been by train. I don't drink (and therefore don't contribute to that industry), I buy as much produce as I can from local shops instead of supermarkets (although mostly because our Tesco is rubbish), I download the vast proportion of my music, I recycle all my newspapers, drinks cans and all paper waste in my office....

I could go on?

But then again, it wasn't me that was suggesting that we shouldn't do anything that could destroy the environment. How can you hold this position and reconcile it against, I use the example again, powering your computer?

sounded like you to me... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Neotenic
189268.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote

<flagellates self quietly>

But, in my defense, I was only responding to a direct question.

samivel
189270.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote

Defense??! Have you gone American over the weekend? Snap out of it at once.

:)

Neotenic
189274.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote

Funnily enough, I did wake this morning with an unnatural desire to annexe something.

samivel
189276.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote

lol

AlmondFacialBar
189277.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote

it's not called annexing, it's called liberating! *tut*

AlmondFacialBar

mckeonj
189279.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
it's not called annexing, it's called liberating! *tut*

AlmondFacialBar

You mean like GIs have been 'liberating' women worldwide since 1917?

Page 4 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next