View previous topic | View next topic

Rome

Page 1 of 1

Alexander Howard
1327628.  Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote

Has no one yet a word to say of Rome, the Infernal City, the Mistress of the World (or the Whore of Babylon)?

The habit of travellers, mainly British, taking the Grand Tour to Italy and admiring the ruins of former greatness inspired Macauley's poetry and one of his most famous aphorisms, foreseeing the same for London, then the greatest city in the world, which it still is.

Macauley cautioned against assuming the disappearance of the Church of Rome off, writing that it

Quote:
'may still exist in undiminished vigour when some traveller from New Zealand shall, in the midst of a vast solitude, take his stand on a broken arch of London Bridge to sketch the ruins of St. Paul's'.

So popular was the image that in the January 7, 1865 edition of Punch was a mock Proclamation including it its targets 'Macaulay's New Zealander':

Quote:
The retirement of this veteran is indispensable. He can no longer be suffered to impede the traffic over London Bridge. Much wanted at the present time in his own country. May return when London is in ruins.

Zziggy
1340365.  Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote

Last year archaeologists in London found an ancient Roman pen with an inscription reading (I'm paraphrasing, but not much) "I went to Rome and all I got you was this lousy pen".

PDR
1340366.  Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote

Modern Rome allegedly has five sewerage systems built at various times over the years. The one that actually workd the best is the original one built tw thousand years ago.

When we went to Rome a few years ago we found that an excellent way to see the city was a tour by segway. Rome is rather hilly, but the segways didn't mind...

PDR

Page 1 of 1