View previous topic | View next topic

Records (in both senses)

Page 1 of 1

GuyBarry
1326217.  Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote

Radio 4's Desert Island Discs is in the news at the moment because of Kirsty Young's announcement that she won't be returning, so here's a possible QI-type question about it:

Q: Who was the only Desert Island Discs castaway to choose eight of her own recordings?
A: The pianist Dame Moura Lympany in 1979.

(No, not Elisabeth Schwarzkopf - she only chose seven.)

Dix
1326991.  Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote

And in the third sense:
The inventor of the flight recorder

This particularly struck me. What a family.

Lucas
1328231.  Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote

the first Guinness world record was in the late 1800's and is thought to be "most piercings on a person at one time

Lucas
1328232.  Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote

I forgot the other inverted comma"

tetsabb
1328235.  Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote

Lucas-- once you have posted, you can always edit. Look at your post after it goes up, and, in the top right corner of it box, next to 'Quote' is the 'Edit' option.

14-11-2014
1328341.  Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote

NFL players can jump higher than NBA players, by about 8". Explosiveness and the maximum height of 10 ft of the hoop are playing a role.

Alexander Howard
1343267.  Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote

A record in the original sense: the Domesday Book. As eni fule kno, there are two books: Great Domesday and Little Domesday. Little Domesday is the bigger one.

Ian Dunn
1381199.  Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote

A new film record has been set - the first film outside of Hollywood to top the annual box office worldwide takings.

The film is Demon Slayer - The Movie: Mugen Train. It comes from the Japanese manga comic Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, about a young boy in early 20th century Japan whose family are all killed by a demon, except himself and his sister who becomes demonically possessed. The story follows the pair as the boy trains to slay demons, while also trying to find a cure for his sister. As you might guess, the film is about slaying demons on a train.

The film, released in 2020, has been breaking various records over recent months including the highest-grossing anime film, the highest-grossing Japanese film, the highest-grossing film of all time in Japan, the highest-grossing animated R-rated film in the US, and now the highest-grossing film worldwide in 2020 - the first time a film outside of Hollywood and thus the USA to be top in a particular year since the birth of cinema.

It has made $474.6million so far, and is obviously still going because the film has yet to be released in many countries due to the virus. The film doesn't get its UK release until 26th May.

Sources: The Numbers, Deadline, Anime News Network, Demon Slayer Movie UK

CB27
1381205.  Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote

I don't think it's a surprise to find not only the top spot in 2020, but the top 3 spots in 2020 all went to films from East Asia, because of the pandemic.

2021 is seeing a similar trend, but with higher revenue as some places are coming out of lockdown. Currently Hi Mom, a Chinese comedy, is taking top spot with nearly double the takings of 2020's Demon Slayer.

However, this raises the question of how to monetise films that are released in streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon?

For example, Netflix had a revenue of nearly $25bn in 2020. I don't know if they've released any numbers or information on most viewed films on their platforms, though I'm sure internally they must have these numbers and a way of calculating returns, but to beat the highest grossing film of 2020 they need a film to account for less than 2% of their annual revenue.

crissdee
1381211.  Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote

On Aug 11th, 2019, Lucas wrote:
the first Guinness world record was in the late 1800's and is thought to be "most piercings on a person at one time

Didn't notice this before, but "Guinness World Records" weren't a "thing" until 1955.

bobwilson
1381394.  Wed May 12, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Lucas-- once you have posted, you can always edit. Look at your post after it goes up, and, in the top right corner of it box, next to 'Quote' is the 'Edit' option.

Technically informative - however, I still prefer Lucas's solution. ;)

Page 1 of 1