View previous topic | View next topic

Rong

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1324060.  Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote

A threat about things which are incorrect - hence the deliberate typo.

Recently it was revealed that two major sporting trophies both have mistakes on them.

Fans of Middlesbrough F.C. last week spotted that the League Cup, which the team won in the 2003-04 season, has their name spelt wrong, with it being written as "Middlesborough", when there is only one "o".

Source: The Gazette

Elsewhere, this year's French Open women's tennis winner, Ashleigh Barty, discovered that on the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen trophy, it wrongly states that 1976 British winner Sue Barker is Australian.

Source: BBC

GuyBarry
1324064.  Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote

There was a recent story about the misspelling of the word "responsibility" as "responsibilty" on an Australian $50 note (BBC).

tetsabb
1324112.  Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote

And what so we do for a 'Wrong' thread* for the "W" series?

*Or, indeed, threat...

Ian Dunn
1324113.  Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
And what so we do for a 'Wrong' thread* for the "W" series?

*Or, indeed, threat...

Well, obviously Series W is the right place for a "Wrong" episode, but paradoxically given the them it feels wrong to put it the right category, whereas it would feel more appropriate to put it in episode under the series with the wrong letter.

Alternatively, you can have an episode about "Right and Rong", or indeed "Right and Wrong".

Also, I did later notice the accidental typo I made, but I thought not correcting it would be more fitting for this threat.

GuyBarry
1324114.  Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I thought "threat" was the deliberate typo - that's why I didn't draw attention to it!

tetsabb
1324156.  Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote

Or could "Rong" be the retractions special, of which we have spoken before? It could be an episode looking back at previous series, pointing out errors or issues where new evidence has come to light. Cruithne, triple point of water, for example....

GuyBarry
1324157.  Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote

If the Retractions Special doesn't belong in series R, I'm not sure where it belongs...

suze
1324180.  Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote

The Retractions Special was first mooted way back in 2004, the day after B Series began to air. (post 8656 refers.)

Over the years, all sorts of titles to fit with the letter of the next season have been proposed. Cock ups, D'oh, Errata and Corrigenda, et cetera.

GuyBarry
1324181.  Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote

Didn't something like that actually take place in series K, episode 7 ("Knowledge")? Panellists were given extra points for "wrong" answers from previous series that subsequently turned out to be right.

EDIT: post 1033267 says explicitly that the Retractions Special will be in series "R", which is where I'd expect to find it. Unless you were planning to put it in series "S" and call it "Special Retractions" :-)

suze
1324189.  Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote

That post was made by a mere Peredhel, though. He does not have the authority to speak ex cathedra, and they'd cut his pointy ear off if they thought he was doing it.

Furthermore, the word "mythical" covers all bases in the same sort of way as the word "allegedly". Allegedly.

Simon C
1326119.  Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote

"Rongwrong" is the title of a Charles Hayward song on the 1975 Quiet Sun album "Mainstream". It was later performed live by 801 and appears on their highly-regarded live album.

Page 1 of 1