View previous topic | View next topic

Rhine

Page 1 of 1

Alexander Howard
1324815.  Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote

A rhine is of course a small drainage ditch in the Somerset Levels.

Apparently there is a river in Europe which has borrowed the name. Geologists claim that during the last Ice Age (sorry 'glacial maximum') the Thames was a tributary of the Rhine. This is of course incorrect: the Rhine was a tributary of the Thames, albeit much bigger than it.

GuyBarry
1324828.  Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
A rhine is of course a small drainage ditch in the Somerset Levels.

Pronounced "reen", and in Somerset it's usually spelt "rhyne" in my experience. ("Rhine" is a Gloucestershire variant, according to Wikipedia.)

EDIT: World Wide Words has more information. One thing I didn't know is that it's used in South Wales as well, where it's spelt "reen".

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-rhi2.htm

14-11-2014
1331841.  Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote

There are two Rhine deltas. One upstream, and one downstream.

And there are two Old Rhines. The Dutch Old Rhine (the old Rhine of a.o. the last name of the painter Rembrandt van Rijn), and the Alter Rhein (Old Rhine) in Austria and Switzerland. Both are old river beds.

In the Netherlands you cannot swim to the other bank of their river Rhine. You'd end up in Germany, i.e. not in the Netherlands. If the other bank is Dutch, then you'd be swimming in a canal (Bijlands Kanaal) instead of in a river.

Alfred E Neuman
1331911.  Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Iím sure you could still swim across. Thatís how I visited Angola a few years ago. Of course it was the Kavango river I swam, and not the Rhine. Less pollution but more crocodiles.

tetsabb
1331912.  Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Yes, pollution in the river in Germany is probably down to material made from hydrocarbons
Hence, rhino-plasty.

My coat is over by the door, thanks.

Page 1 of 1