View previous topic | View next topic

Rain (smell of)

Page 1 of 1

nathanvanwyk
1324302.  Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote

The smell we all associate with the first rains after a dry spell, or disturbing earth after a rain is call petrichor (pet-ree-kor). It is the result of soil disturbance by the rain, releasing geosmin, an organic compound with a distinct earthy flavour and aroma produced by actinobacteria and cyanobacteria.

I used to work in a lab where we grew hundreds of flasks of the stuff looking for new antibiotics. The smell of petrichor blasting me from a heated grow-room first thing on a Monday morning is one of my favourite memories of working there.

 
tetsabb
1324321.  Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote

nathanvanwyk wrote:
the first rains after a dry spell,


Not something that has happened much of late......

And 'petrichor' is a lovely word

 
Alfred E Neuman
1324324.  Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
nathanvanwyk wrote:
the first rains after a dry spell,


Not something that has happened much of late......

Especially in Cape Town.

 
nathanvanwyk
1324331.  Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
tetsabb wrote:
nathanvanwyk wrote:
the first rains after a dry spell,


Not something that has happened much of late......

Especially in Cape Town.


Yup, was bone dry here for a while, situation has relieved a bit.

 
crissdee
1324343.  Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote

Ahem....

post 1236915

post 1272742

 
pmailkeey
1363625.  Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote

nathanvanwyk wrote:
The smell we all associate with the first rains after a dry spell, or disturbing earth after a rain is call petrichor (pet-ree-kor). It is the result of soil disturbance by the rain, releasing geosmin, an organic compound with a distinct earthy flavour and aroma produced by actinobacteria and cyanobacteria.


Due to the total lack of soil on roads, I'll totally disagree with the source. I've only experienced (a few times) a smell from fresh rain landing on tarmac - roads and pavements and not on earth/soil.

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group