View previous topic | View next topic

The race for Number 10

Page 25 of 27
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

GuyBarry
1327273.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote

According to Laura Kuenssberg, the reason why the announcement was delayed was that Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt had a long conversation in the green room behind the scenes beforehand. Is that a signal that Hunt will be staying at the Foreign Office?

suze
1327290.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote

It turns out that neither Mr Gauke nor Mr Hammond has actually resigned yet. Both have let it be known that they will do so tomorrow, immediately after PMQs (which means that they will technically resign their offices before Mrs May resigns hers). While they haven't said whether they will resign or wait to be fired, Greg Clark, David Lidington, and Rod Stewart all make it plain that they too will not form part of a Johnson government.

Despite both having said in the past that they would not serve under Prime Minister Johnson, Nicky Morgan and Amber Rudd now indicate that they are available for selection.

Precisely who will get which job will become clear in the next few days. Sajid Javid is generally expected to become Chancellor of the Exchequer. While many commentators agree with Laura and Guy that Jeremy Streynsham-Hunt will be staying at the Foreign Office, Metro thinks it will be Amber Rudd. The Independent thinks it might be Jacob Rees-Mogg, but surely even Boris understands that one pompous Old Etonian in the Great Offices is an ample sufficiency.

Alexander Howard
1327292.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote

I went over to Westminster at lunchtime, in the glorious sunshine, and the display of flags around Parliament Square is dazzling. I'm surprised the BBC has not featured it as they must be crawling all over the Square. Maybe they have other things on their mind. Still, theirs is a visual medium and it is the best flag display I have seen.

I'm not a selfie person or I might have taken a photo of myself by the Hertfordshire Flag (flying between those of Hampshire and Huntingdonshire).

Alexander Howard
1327294.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote

As usual, I turned to my favourite website for geographical facts and it has a page that allowed me to identify the flags that are flying, which are county flags:

'British flags'

Willie
1327296.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
I went over to Westminster at lunchtime, in the glorious sunshine, and the display of flags around Parliament Square is dazzling. I'm surprised the BBC has not featured it as they must be crawling all over the Square. Maybe they have other things on their mind. Still, theirs is a visual medium and it is the best flag display I have seen.

I'm not a selfie person or I might have taken a photo of myself by the Hertfordshire Flag (flying between those of Hampshire and Huntingdonshire).

The Tories have just voted for a man who has been sacked multiple times for lying to his boss, once discussed getting a journalist beaten up for the audacity of investigating his crocked ex-school friend and has made far worse diplomatic gaffes than the Duke of Edinburgh, but never mind there are some nice flags.

GuyBarry
1327297.  Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

Where hurricanes hardly ever happen?

crissdee
1327329.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 am Reply with quote

Headline just mentioned on the radio;

"No 10 Clowning St"

tetsabb
1327355.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote

I have just realised that Johnson has a lot in common with Alan B'stard.....

barbados
1327371.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote

I'm curious what the floor thinks of the BBC suggestion that the cracks are already appearing because Penny Mourdant has returned to the backbenches?
Reading between the lines of her tweet, it looks (as with Dr Fox) that it was a decision not of her making - at which point how would that imply wheels falling off? surely, it is Johnson making a decision - which is what he is there for.

In other news, it looks as though it is Day one - Correct decisions one from Johnson with Mr Grayling returning to the backbenches

suze
1327374.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote

The Westminster gossip circuit has it that Mr Grayling was offered a position in the Johnson administration and refused it, and Jeremy Streynsham-Hunt likewise.

GuyBarry
1327380.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Laura K: "This is officially the biggest clear out of Cabinet without a change of party in power - more than half of them gone - not a reshuffle itís a new govt".

According to Tom Newton Dunn:

Sacked (10, so far):
Hunt
Mordaunt
Fox
Clark
Hinds
Bradley
Wright
Mundell
Brokenshire
Nokes

Resigned (4):
Hammond
Gauke
Stewart
Perry

Retired (2):
Grayling
Lidington

barbados
1327382.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I wonder what role Hunt was offered.
Rumoured to be defence, but if I were a betting man, I would have gone for DPM, although of course, we will never know.

His tweet was very supportive, more so than the others, and from his previous experiences of reshuffles. I think he probably would have taken defence, but the DPM role just didn't give him enough to do, so he would rather do nothing without the responsibility.

No real shocks with the appointments so far

Willie
1327383.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Oh great, a man sacked from multiple jobs for lying as Prime Minister and a woman sacked for holding secret meetings with foreign politicians as Home Secretary.

In they were in any other profession both of these would be on the dole not in the cabinet.

suze
1327389.  Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
As Mr Corbyn has had to "resort" to such as Diane Abbott in his front bench team, would Boris have to send for Jacob Rees-Mogg?

So I wrote six weeks ago, and it turms out that I was absolutely right! Mr Rees-Mogg is to be Leader of the House of Commons, which is usually a job for an uninspiring yes-person who is reasonably good at spreadsheets. Yes, he is the sort of person who has read Erskine May in four different languages and that does help for the gig he is taking on, but whether those spreadsheets will from now in be in Ancient Greek only time will tell.

Unless it is yet to be announced there will be no Deputy Prime Minister de jure, in which case it is traditionally the Leader of the House of Commons who takes PMQs when the PM is unavailable. I'm not sure that Mr Rees-Mogg would be much good at that, although PM Johnson does have another option here. He has appointed Michael Gove as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, a bit of a non-job but one which David Lidington held while he was de facto Deputy PM. It may be that PM Johnson has it in mind that Mr Gove will be de facto Deputy PM and will deputise at PMQs as required, which makes a certain amount of sense.

So far as we can tell at the moment, Mr Gove's main government job in the immediate term is to be de facto SSExEU. Stephen Barclay remains in that position in name at least, and is one of rather few who is keeping the job he held under Mrs May, but the suggestion is that Mr Gove will be pulling his fairly short strings.

barbados
1327402.  Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:26 am Reply with quote

The lack of a deputy does suggest to me that the intended was indeed Hunt, and while I think it would have been an excellent choice, I can understand why it was declined.
As for PMQs I think Mogg will provide a more than adequate stand in if that is the route chosen. He knows his stuff about Parliament and it would probably take someone better than Tom Watson to trip him up.

Page 25 of 27
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next