View previous topic | View next topic

Royal

Page 1 of 1

14-11-2014
1323679.  Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Royal Dutch Shell was granted a Royal charter by King William III of the Netherlands before (18 april 1890) a small oil exploration and production company known as the "Royal Dutch Company for the Working of Petroleum Wells in the Dutch Indies" was founded (16 june 1890).

Lucas
1328229.  Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote

Edward I is called Longshanks because he was a tall man for his era at 6' 2''. shanks is an old Scottish word for legs so he was called Edward "long legs"

Lucas
1328230.  Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote

Harold I (Harefoot) is first recorded as harefoh and harefah. th etymology of Harefoot is that it is a word meaning narrow foot

Alexander Howard
1329276.  Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote

It is well known that when King Charles XIV of Sweden died, it was found that he had a tattoo on his left arm saying "Mort aux rois!" ('Death to Kings!)

The only problem is that the story is untrue: it comes from a play written long after the event. The same tattoo has been attributed to King Gioacchino of Naples, and again it is untrue but it is one of those stories too good to bother about whether it is true of not.

Both of the kings were Napoleon's generals and both had been enthusiastic republicans in the flush of the French Revolution: King Charles XIV was born Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, and King Gioacchino was the dashing Joachim Murat.

Alexander Howard
1329277.  Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote

There is a long train of etymology from an obscure family to highest royalty, to games and to the chief tax-collector, and incidentally to the flag of Kirkcudbrightshire (one of my favourite counties if only for its name and that I have ancestors from there.

Gaius Iulius Caesar, the Roman geezer, was of an ancient Roman patrician family, the Iulii Caesares, and his successor was his nephew and adopted son, who after adoption was named Gaius Iulius Caesar Octauianus (bear with me). 'Caesar' was just a name. However Caesar held an unprecedented position in the Roman state that his name became a title. The history of its use can sent the most ardent historians to sleep.

The title gives us the German 'Kaiser', the Slavic 'Tsar', the Turkish 'Keysar' and others, and the in the Romans' neighbouring empire, the Persian Empire, it became 'Shah'.

From the Persian 'Shah' come Indian titles too, such as 'Padishah' / 'Badshah' for the Moghul Emperor,. Shah is a popular name in the Indian subcontinent. I even came across a Mr Shahinshah ('king of kings')

It also gives a name to the game of chess.

Chess is a Persian game in origin (actually modern chess was in vented in Portugal, but let that pass) from the Persian for 'king;'; 'Shah', which also gives us 'check' and 'checkmate'. The pattern of a chessboard is a chequer -from the name of the game. (The alternative name for the game of draughts, chequers, is from the same origin, so chequers is named after chess.)

A chequered cloth was used for the collection of taxes, hence the name of the royal tax-collecting department, the Exchequer (and the former Court of Exchequer). The Flag of Kirkcudbrightshire, devised a few years ago has two-by-two chequed pattern to recall the exchequer of the Stewards of Kikcudbright.

It is fair to say then that the name of the Caesar family has spread across the world into many civilisations and from it come Emperors, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

tetsabb
1329347.  Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote

I though Padishah was the King of Ireland...
😉

Awitt
1329381.  Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote

Quote:
shanks is an old Scottish word for legs

Hence the phrase shanks pony

suze
1329398.  Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote

Yes indeed, and if you'd asked me that before today I'd have gotten it wrong. I'd always imagined that there was some historical Mr Shanks who was known for having no horse and walking everywhere.

I knew perfectly well that the shank is another name for the shin; after all, I have cooked a lamb shank enough times before now (and very nice it was too). Even so, I'd never made the connection.

Alexander Howard
1329401.  Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Old English sceanca; 'leg'. The word 'leg' is derived from Old Norse.

Page 1 of 1