View previous topic | View next topic

Rasputin

Page 1 of 1

14-11-2014
1323479.  Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Stephen Fry, Series E, wrote:
When we come, in many years time . . . When we come to our dotage, Series R, we'll cover Rasputin.

GuyBarry
1323493.  Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote

Rah! Rah!

Alexander Howard
1323549.  Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote

The number of books, films and other fictional portrayals of Rasputin is phenomenal.

In 1932, MGM released Rasputin and the Empress, a heavily fictionalised account. In their film a 'Prince Paul Chegodieff' murders Rasputin after he has raped the prince's fiancée - all fictional so the studio should have been all right. Except that this was only 18 years after the real events and some of the characters portrayed were very much alive. Princess Irina Youssoupoff sued the studio because the whole world knew that her husband had murdered Rasputin, so they were portraying her as having been deflowered by the mad monk. She succeeded.

I seem to remember being told another Russian exile sharing a name with a fictional character also sued, but I can't find that detail.

By the time Hammer released Rasputin the Mad Monk in 1966, staring Christopher Lee, most of the characters would have been beyond complaining. In its story, a (fictional) Russian courtier plots his murder when Rasputin seduces his sister. I do not know if Yusupov had a sister alive to complain.

suryanagarajan
1329240.  Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Rah! Rah!

Bobby Farrell who sometimes sang dressed up as Rasputin, died on the same day and place (30th Dec, St. Petersburg) as Grigori Rasputin.

AWilson88
1333786.  Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:54 am Reply with quote

While you might've heard of the excessive work that went into killing him, and possibly also that that was a steaming load of - I actually don't know if there's a swear filter on here but I think you know what word I had in mind there - but what is interesting is the weapon actually used to kill him and how it presents a rather curious connection to British Intelligence.

First of all; part of the story about killing him talked about a cake that had been poisoned by baking cyanide into it. That's nonsense on two levels because:
A) Cyanide wouldn't survive the baking process and even if it could;
B) Rasputin had some rather chronic stomach troubles so wouldn't have touched the cake with a ten foot pole anyway.

As for what actually killed him; .455 Webley round through the head, instant death. Ostensibly fired by Prince Felix Yusupov. And if you recognise the name of that particular revolver round, you're probably seeing why I mentioned British Intelligence before.

See; .455 Webley revolvers were standard issue for the British Secret Service at the time and the then-director of the British Secret Service was a friend of a friend of Yusupov's. Yusupov himself didn't have any obvious connections to the British Secret Service, but the mutual friend he had with the BSS' director has led people to wonder if there had been some British involvement in Rasputin's assassination.

crissdee
1333793.  Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote

As the forum's resident gun nut, I should perhaps point out that .455 Webleys were general issue to just about anyone that the British government thought needed one, and were widely available on the retail market to anyone with the money, so the connection is not quite as "cast iron" as it might be.

Page 1 of 1