View previous topic | View next topic

R query

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

PDR
1323933.  Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Well I'd have to agree that my combination of supreme intelligence, devastating wit, flawless physical fitness, stunning good looks and irresistiblity to women doesn't exactly swamp the gene pool. But I have long-since become reconciled to to the burden - its just the cross I have to bear.

PDR

crissdee
1323946.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 am Reply with quote

That wasn't quite the criteria I was judging you on..........;-)

GuyBarry
1323947.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:52 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Probably because most model engineers are not exactly amongst the internet generation*

Isn't everyone part of the internet generation nowadays? My mother's 84 and she uses it, although nothing like as extensively as I do. (She has to go into the cellar to use it, which rather limits her participation.) How old is the average model engineer?

Quote:
and perhaps because it's a bit of ribald piss-taking between some metalworking hobbyists and some wood-turning hobbyists that generally only gets voiced over beers at shows and club meetings.

I love this idea that there's a whole secret vocabulary that's only used by rival gangs of hobbyists throwing insults at each other - a whole untapped area of linguistic research! (Does suze know a technical term for it?)

Quote:
Similarly you probably won't get that many hits on [...] F3D participants being referred to as throttle benders

Not many, but at least I found this (from 1954):

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1954/1954%20-%200579.PDF

Quote:
Perhaps you should take this away to a separate thread on "ribald pisstaking between friends" rather than hijacking this one...

Well it begins with R, doesn't it? I think this could be perfect material for an episode of QI...

PDR
1323950.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
That wasn't quite the criteria I was judging you on..........;-)

Tsk tsk - surely you should either say "those" or talk about a singular "crteriON"?

This is QI, after all - we have our standards!

:0)

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total

PDR
1323953.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Isn't everyone part of the internet generation nowadays? My mother's 84 and she uses it, although nothing like as extensively as I do. (She has to go into the cellar to use it, which rather limits her participation.) How old is the average model engineer?

Not really - not in the social media sense. I know people who are my age (late 50s) who use email and use the web for data, booking stuff, shopping etc, but never go anywhere near the social media stuff because they do other things with their time. Home machinists tend to spend that part of their spare time which others spend on fac eache and forums actually doing stuff in their workshops. It's not universal - there are model engineering fora, but the bulk of the hobby participants don't really use them much and when they DO use them it's generally just for exchanging information on their current projects or seeking/giving technical advice. These fora lack the social "chitchat" which places like this have, because those people do that sort of chatting when face-to-face.

Heck, I only participate on three internet forums where I have friends - I don't have (and never have had) a facebook account, I don't do twatter, I don't do whatsapp or any of that other crap and I'm a mere strippling of 57. Most home machinists are in their late 60s to 80s.

Quote:

I love this idea that there's a whole secret vocabulary that's only used by rival gangs of hobbyists throwing insults at each other

It's not "insults", it's "good natured banter" - a mutual piss-taking between people who are comfortable with it as a communications style. I know you have trouble with this because, like the use of hyperbole as a rhetorical style, you've misinterpreted it before. In much the same way that I might suggest chris stops lusting after that hillbilly yankee crap and looks at a proper rice-burner - this is just the way many froieds relate to eachother.

Quote:
Quote:
Similarly you probably won't get that many hits on [...] F3D participants being referred to as throttle benders

Not many, but at least I found this (from 1954):

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1954/1954%20-%200579.PDF

Actually you've just proved my point, because that WASN'T about F3D participants.

:0)

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total

GuyBarry
1323957.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

It's not "insults", it's "good natured banter"

One man's "insult" is another man's "good natured banter"...

Anyway, however you term it, I still think it's quite an interesting phenomenon, and one that clearly hasn't been well documented.

Quote:
In much the same way that I might suggest chris stops lusting after that hillbilly yankee crap and looks at a proper rice-burner - this is just the way many froieds relate to eachother.

Is "froieds" one of these terms of "good natured banter" or just another typo?

EDIT: "Rice burner" is clearly so well known that it has its own Wikipedia page, though I'd never heard it before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_burner

Quote:
Actually you've just proved my point, because that WASN'T about F3D participants.

You mean there are different types of "throttle bender"? *gasp*

We definitely need to get the Elves on to this.

Last edited by GuyBarry on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

tetsabb
1323960.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote
Quote:
I have friends

Well, non-hostile acquaintances, at least.
😉

PDR
1323967.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
PDR wrote
Quote:
I have friends

Well, non-hostile acquaintances, at least.
😉

If any of them are non-hostile I must be getting soft in my dotage...

PDR

PDR
1323969.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:

Is "froieds" one of these terms of "good natured banter" or just another typo?

That is left as an execise for the reader.

PDR

Jenny
1323996.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote

I suspect it was a froiedian slip.

tetsabb
1324008.  Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote

I am afroeid you might be right.

Janet H
1328888.  Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote

I have a very great fwiend in Wome....

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2