View previous topic | View next topic

Android crap

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

PDR
1322530.  Fri May 24, 2019 1:45 am Reply with quote

They no longer make windows phones.

I finally managed to transfer the contacts at about 1:00 this morning. It involved installing Thunderbird as a mail client on my laptop, and then creating 2 extra (new) gmail accounts. By playing things off between these three I managed to convince it that it was syncing rather than copying, but it was a serious faff.

I wish that they would create something that has the close coupling which windows phones had - this android rubbish is just so cludgy!

PDR

 
cnb
1322534.  Fri May 24, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote

Where on your PC are the contacts stored?

If they're in Outlook then the normal way to synchronise is to set up an ActiveSync connection.

On the phone, open the 'Settings' app, choose 'Accounts', then 'Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync'. Once you set up the account, there are toggles to select which items from the exchange account should be synchronised (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks).

 
PDR
1322538.  Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote

Sounds good, except that under Settings > Users & accounts there is no "Microsoft Exhange ActiveSync" option!

PDR

 
cnb
1322539.  Fri May 24, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Sounds good, except that under Settings > Users & accounts there is no "Microsoft Exhange ActiveSync" option!


Ah, so after some Googling... that's what you get for buying 'pure' Android. Apparently the ActiveSync components are not part of Android (presumably because they have to be licensed from Microsoft).

You'll have to install an app that adds that function. You can use the Microsoft Outlook app, or there are several other email apps that support ActiveSync.

 
PDR
1322548.  Fri May 24, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote

I tried installing the Outlook App, but it wouldn't sync anything no matter what data I gave it.

PDR

 
Alfred E Neuman
1322551.  Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote

Of course it could have been done quite easily if youíd just bought an iPhone...

 
PDR
1322552.  Fri May 24, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote

GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!

 
Jenny
1322576.  Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote

I have an iPhone (sorry PDR) and I use the Apple mail on my phone, but only for one of my email accounts because I don't want my phone cluttered up with too much email - my main email is just picked up on my desktop or iPad.

However, on my desktop I do use Microsoft Outlook for Mac as an email program and calendar, and I would love to know if there is a way of synchronizing that with the Apple calendar that is on my phone. Any suggestions?

 
cnb
1322578.  Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
However, on my desktop I do use Microsoft Outlook for Mac as an email program and calendar, and I would love to know if there is a way of synchronizing that with the Apple calendar that is on my phone. Any suggestions?


If your email is a Microsoft internet service (Outlook.com, Office 365 etc) or a corporate Microsoft Exchange account then you can synchronise it through those, but if you are just using Outlook as a client for any other email service then there's no built-in sync function.

 
Willie
1322589.  Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I am on my 6th Android phone in a row starting with an HTC Desire going back over a decade and not once have I had to transfer my contacts list. As soon as I log onto gmail on the phone the contacts are just there.

Nokia phones however have been terrible for years, both with the Windows operating system and Android.

 
barbados
1322591.  Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I have an iPhone (sorry PDR) and I use the Apple mail on my phone, but only for one of my email accounts because I don't want my phone cluttered up with too much email - my main email is just picked up on my desktop or iPad.

However, on my desktop I do use Microsoft Outlook for Mac as an email program and calendar, and I would love to know if there is a way of synchronizing that with the Apple calendar that is on my phone. Any suggestions?


When I got my latest iphone, I synced everything by an overly laborious task.
I had to turn on my old phone, then turn on my new phone, and (this is the killer) put them on the table next to each other - it took what a school child would refer to as a life time but what we refer to as about five minutes :)

 
Jenny
1322761.  Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Email isn't the issue - I only pick up my icloud email on my phone. It's the calendars I wanted to sync, but it doesn't seem possible.

 
crissdee
1322763.  Sun May 26, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote

I save all the hassle by turning off the data on my phone and only using email on my computer.

(I appreciate that for people with actual jobs/lives this might not be an option, but it works for me)

 
barbados
1322801.  Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Email isn't the issue - I only pick up my icloud email on my phone. It's the calendars I wanted to sync, but it doesn't seem possible.

You use an imac donít you?
It should be possible to sync your calender to your icloud on both devices, although I donít use apple callender, so wouldnt be able to direct you - I might be able to work it out if it were in front of me but I only use iOS, not MacOS (which is where I would look first) all of my appointments are managed through o365, which just works.

 
Alfred E Neuman
1322808.  Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I save all the hassle by turning off the data on my phone and only using email on my computer.

(I appreciate that for people with actual jobs/lives this might not be an option, but it works for me)

I donít own a computer, so I do all my private email on my phone.

 

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group