View previous topic | View next topic

Sentencing and its worth.

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

crissdee
1321743.  Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote

OK, I'm not going to start asking for capital punishment.......BUT.

On the news tonight, they were talking about the gang of moped-based theives they have just caught and sentenced. The ringleader has apparently 26 convictions to his name. The other day, I was watching something about the real crime scene investigators, and one of the supects they were looking for had been arrested no less than 171 times.

I'm not arguing for a police state or anything, but when confronted by people like this (and I am sure there are many other similar cases) isn't it clear that, whatever the legal system is supposed to do with them, just isn't working. A person who has been arrested 171 times isn't about to change their habits and become a fine upstanding citizen. If we can't "string him up", surely the time has come to just lock him up and throw away the key

GuyBarry
1321749.  Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote

I have no comment to make on the subject-matter at the moment, but...

(1) Shouldn't this be in WFHIT?
(2) Isn't there a rather obvious typo in the subject line?

barbados
1321750.  Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote

FFS
Looks like you’ve been sentenced to a period of hard labour by the grammar and forum police criss.

GuyBarry
1321753.  Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote

Oh right, it's not as though crissdee ever complains about spelling mistakes in other people's posts, is it? He pounced on suze recently for writing "Nissan hut" instead of "Nissen hut", and that was buried in the middle of the post. This one's right up there screaming at you from the subject line - and it's such an obvious one as well.

Unless of course the subject line is incomplete and he meant to write "Sentencing and it's worth what you pay for it" :-)

As for "forum police", I was under the impression that WFHIT was created in order to take contentious topics out of General Banter. It's understandable that sometimes contentious discussions will arise out of existing topics in General Banter, but I see no reason for deliberately starting them there. All that will happen is that Jenny will move it to WFHIT, and why create more work for the moderator?

crissdee
1321767.  Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote

The typo in the heading I hold my hands up to, it was late and I was still trying to decide what I wanted to say. I don't know if I can change it now.

As for its location, I wasn't sure if it would have sufficient "legs" to make it worthy of WFHIT. If it looks like taking off, or if the mods think it better put there, I am happy for it to be moved.

GuyBarry
1321770.  Tue May 14, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The typo in the heading I hold my hands up to, it was late and I was still trying to decide what I wanted to say. I don't know if I can change it now.

You should be able to - just go back to the first post and edit it.

Quote:
As for its location, I wasn't sure if it would have sufficient "legs" to make it worthy of WFHIT. If it looks like taking off, or if the mods think it better put there, I am happy for it to be moved.

OK. I think it probably does belong there, but I'll let Jenny decide.

Awitt
1321776.  Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote

I know I have a bad headache tonight so am not 100%, but I'm reading the topic of the theft as 'moped', that is, those who mope around.

suze
1321808.  Tue May 14, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
You should be able to - just go back to the first post and edit it.

IIRC, the OP cannot change the title of a thread once there has been a reply to it.

Only a moderator can do that, but I shall take crissdee's comments as indicating that he would like it to be done, and then wave my magic wand ...

And viola, as I see all too often ...

Dix
1321816.  Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

To which the only sensible response is ... Double bass!

(if any of my work colleagues see this my pseudonym is worth f-all)

cornixt
1321817.  Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Part of the justice system is the rehabilitation of criminals back into law abiding citizens. If that isn't happening well enough then you get repeat offenders. I'm sure that even a perfect system won't have a 100% success rate, but we don't have one of those. I'd prefer to improve the current system first rather than write off people as being unable to be rehabilitated.

crissdee
1321818.  Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
I'd prefer to improve the current system first rather than write off people as being unable to be rehabilitated.

Me too, but when the system is failing someone so badly as to be arrested a triple figure number of times, isn't it a good idea to keep him where he can't commit any more crimes while we sort the system out, rather than keep catching him and letting him go again? I'm not suggesting I even know what the answer is, just looking for ideas really.

If a picture keeps falling off the wall, leave it on the floor till you've repaired the wall, then hang it properly.

GuyBarry
1321823.  Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

IIRC, the OP cannot change the title of a thread once there has been a reply to it.

Oh yes the OP can. To demonstrate, I have just renamed the "MPs build themselves a new home" thread to "Relocation of Parliament" (see post 1321323).

barbados
1321826.  Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote

Very well done. Anyway, back on topic...

crissdee wrote:
cornixt wrote:
I'd prefer to improve the current system first rather than write off people as being unable to be rehabilitated.

Me too, but when the system is failing someone so badly as to be arrested a triple figure number of times, isn't it a good idea to keep him where he can't commit any more crimes while we sort the system out, rather than keep catching him and letting him go again? I'm not suggesting I even know what the answer is, just looking for ideas really.

If a picture keeps falling off the wall, leave it on the floor till you've repaired the wall, then hang it properly.

Is part of the problem not down to risk analysis?
Little Scrote only does what he does because he thinks the potential cost to him (getting caught, going down for a couple of weeks) is worth his reward. If he (other genders are available) knew he would get caught and he was going to spend a disproportionate amount of time off the streets, then he wouldn’t do it.

crissdee
1321839.  Wed May 15, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote

I think that may very well be part of the problem. Harsher sentencing might help with some of it, but Mr 171 Arrests clearly has no regard for the rule of law and may need something else.

Awitt
1321857.  Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
suze wrote:

To which the only sensible response is ... Double bass!

(if any of my work colleagues see this my pseudonym is worth f-all)

As a viola player (and one who knows the French expression too) I sometimes take delight in trying to make a joke about the musical one when it's expressed that way, incorrectly.

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next