View previous topic | View next topic

Falling back to Spring forward

Page 1 of 1

laidbacklazyman
9801.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:35 am Reply with quote

It would seem that the idea of putting the clocks back in the Autumn dates back originally to 1907.
A man named William Willett thought that back then that if we advanced the clocks each Sunday in April the doing the reverse in October.

Although we didn't begin changing the clocks regularly till 1972 the Daylight savings bill was passed in 1916.

Jenny
9802.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote

The clocks went back in England a week earlier than the US this year - as they did last year. So you lot were six hours ahead of us for the last week instead of four. The same thing happens in the spring, so there is a week when you are four hours ahead instead of five.

Icarus
9805.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Jenny...

GMT to EST is 5 hours. BST starts a week earlier in the spring - and for that week the UK is 6 hours ahead. For whatever reason, ever since I've been in the UK(on and off for 9 years now) BST and EDT shift back to GMT and EST at the same time.

Are you in Canada?

Jenny
9809.  Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm in Portland, Maine, Icarus - for some reason I thought the dates were out in the spring as well, but I'll bow to your greater experience on that - I've only been over here two years.

Icarus
9845.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote

Jenny - the dates are only out in the spring is what I'm trying to say.

Jenny
9858.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote

Icarus - no they were definitely a week out this year - I was talking to my kids in the UK and they were an extra hour behind me. According to my American friends, the hours always change on the last weekend in October and the first weekend in April here.

Does anybody know if they do it differently in the southern hemisphere?

Flash
9870.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I believe they do, because the clocks rotate in the opposite direction down there owing to the Coriolis Effect.

Jenny
9873.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Only if you put the clock in a perfectly circular bath, Flash.

Commander
9891.  Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Just to make matters worse our Australian Nanny hasn't changed her watch so as not to interfere with Junior's feeding, meaning we are always an hour away from where we think we are.

Flash
9898.  Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:11 am Reply with quote

... and posting to the talkboard at 3:00 in the morning.

Page 1 of 1