View previous topic | View next topic

Comb Jellies.

Page 1 of 1

Bondee
1315574.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote

They are unique in that one of their kind, the warty comb jelly, is the only known animal to have an anus that only appears when it needs to defecate.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2195656-animal-with-an-anus-that-comes-and-goes-could-reveal-how-ours-evolved/

Transient Anus is also the name of my new grindcore band.

AlmondFacialBar
1315576.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote

There is no level on which I don't approve of this post. Also, may I add that name to the That Would Be A Great Bandname FB group?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1315585.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote

There is something that we are not told in the linked article.

Does a warty comb jelly form its anus in the same place every time? Or does it have the ability to form a transient anus at any point on its surface?

Because if it's the former, I suggest that there is a parallel in the world of transient orifices.

suze
1315641.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote

This BBC piece suggests that the warty comb jelly may not be the only animal to have a transient anus.

It mentions a type of worm which may have a transient anus - or at least, no one has ever put forward a plausible explanation for what other purpose an opening which appears from time to time may serve. It also mentions a bizarre creature found only in one island off Greenland, which appears to have a transient anus and which also appears only to exist as the female.

But coming back to my earlier comment about transient orifices, is a woman's vagina actually transient? Much as we think of it as being a sort of tube which links the external parts with the cervix, does it actually have a permanent existence?

I seem to remember reading that it's not really a tube at all, because if it is out of use for a period of time then its walls seal together. If you were somehow inside a cervix at the end of - how shall we put it - a disused vagina, there would be no evidence of a way out. Does this sound right?

AlmondFacialBar
1315642.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Disused Vagina being a side project of Transient Anus's bass player, right?

AlmondFacialBar

Bondee
1315680.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Also, may I add that name to the That Would Be A Great Bandname FB group?

Go ahead.

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Disused Vagina being a side project of Transient Anus's bass player, right?

It's actually the name of the band he formed after he quit. The rest of us were content with playing grindcore, but he wanted to go more in the goregrind direction.

AlmondFacialBar
1315684.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I remember that night when they premiered Mooncup Full Of Puss. Had tinnitus for the rest of the week, but it was totes worth it...

AlmondFacialBar

Bondee
1316463.  Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote

On a recent episode of The Bugle podcast, my favourite Aussie accent, Alice Fraser, referred to its transient anus as “an ephemeral poop-chute” and “an on demand streaming service”.

Elves, please give Alice a spot on the panel!

edit: errant comma

Last edited by Bondee on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
1316497.  Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Seconding that! 😂

AlmondFacialBar

DVD Smith
1316538.  Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote

She also referred to humans using the word "bebuttholed" if I remember correctly. Master of words, that one. :)

Page 1 of 1