View previous topic | View next topic

More on pronunciation

Page 1 of 1

Hairy Scot
1315223.  Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote

have always believed, probably in common with most Scots, that the pronunciation of “gill” varies depending on whether one is referring to the organ of respiration in fishes and other water-breathing animals (hard G, /ɡɪl/ ), or a measure of liquid (soft G, /dʒɪl/ ). I was therefore somewhat surprised recently when watching an old episode of QI to hear Stephen Fry and his guests use the hard G, /ɡɪl/ for both the fishy organ and the liquid measure..

suze
1315282.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply I gave a few moments ago.

He was the questioner on that occasion as well.

Hairy Scot
1315285.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply I gave a few moments ago.

He was the questioner on that occasion as well.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am was hardly a few moments ago.
But being a sufferer of CRAFT I must confess to having let that one slip.

However, that does not change the facts.

'yorz
1315293.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote

suze meant months. Spellcheck shit happens.

GuyBarry
1315297.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote

I don't think that's an error. In fact I'm sure it isn't.

"I refer the Honourable Gentleman/Lady to the reply I gave some moments ago"[*] used to be the stock reply given at Prime Minister's Questions to the standard "open" question about the PM's engagements for the day, to avoid the PM having to repeat the same answer over and over again to every MP with a question on the order paper. Tony Blair got rid of it when he took over from John Major, as I recall.

I had to google CRAFT, though.

[*]I think that's the correct phrasing rather than "a few moments".

Alfred E Neuman
1315298.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
suze meant months. Spellcheck shit happens.

The worst part of getting a new phone is training it that I don’t use the word duck all that often.

suze
1315315.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
"I refer the Honourable Gentleman/Lady to the reply I gave some moments ago"[*] used to be the stock reply given at Prime Minister's Questions to the standard "open" question about the PM's engagements for the day, to avoid the PM having to repeat the same answer over and over again to every MP with a question on the order paper. Tony Blair got rid of it when he took over from John Major, as I recall.

Damnit all, you are entirely right. It was some rather than a few, but that was indeed what I had in mind.

As you say, the Blair government changed the protocol of PMQs and the engagements question by now only has to be asked once, right at the start of proceedings. Even then, it is usually asked as "Number one, Mr Speaker" (ie "I ask the first question on the order paper") rather than in as many words. Unless there is something special happening that day, the PM delivers the conventional answer "This morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others. In addition to my duties in this House, I shall have further such meetings later today."

After that it is taken as read that the engagements question has been asked and answered, and the MP goes straight in with what it strictly speaking his supplementary question.

Page 1 of 1