View previous topic | View next topic

Pronunciation

Page 1 of 1

Hairy Scot
1315222.  Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Compare and consider the pronunciation of the following pairs of names and words:-

Davis v Davies

Stephen v Steven

Private v Privacy

Is there a difference?

Alfred E Neuman
1315226.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:40 am Reply with quote

Yes

No

Yes

GuyBarry
1315271.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote

I usually hear "Davies" pronounced identically to "Davis", though I've occasionally heard a long "ee" sound in the last syllable. "Stephen" and "Steven" are always identical in my experience.

"Private" and "privacy" are of course pronounced differently, since they've got different numbers of syllables and different consonants in them, but I suspect you were asking about the first syllable only. I use a short "i" in "privacy", and I regard it as the regular British pronunciation. The alternative pronunciation with a long "i" as in "private" strikes me as primarily American, although I do hear it in Britain as well. (It's actually older than the short "i" pronunciation, I was surprised to learn.)

suze
1315280.  Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
I usually hear "Davies" pronounced identically to "Davis", though I've occasionally heard a long "ee" sound in the last syllable.

Persons called Davies have been known to get a bit annoyed about that.

I'm not entirely sure whether it was on these forums or not, but I once read a Welsh Davies recounting something that happened to him. He was asked his name and said that it was "Davies, with an <e>" - to which the other party replied "Oh, you mean day-VEEZ".

Our Mr Davies tended to think that he would be the judge of how his name ought to be pronounced.

Jenny
1315446.  Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote

The way I say Davies and Davis differently is that the final s in the latter sounds like an s, but the final s in the former sounds more like a z.

I asked my American husband how he pronounced privacy and he says it with a short i, but allowed that he had heard it pronounced by other people with a long i. Also, his mother was British, from Gateshead, which might account for his having picked up a more British pronunciation.

I don't hear or say any difference between Stephen and Steven.

Bondee
1315451.  Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I don't hear or say any difference between Stephen and Steven.

Which is exactly why most people spell my name wrong.

Jenny
1315618.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote

And is that a problem for you, Bondage?

'yorz
1315619.  Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote

:-D

Bondee
1315679.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote

Page 1 of 1