View previous topic | View next topic

Ambition

Page 9 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1315731.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Hm yeah, that would make sense I guess...

English is a tad awkward that way if you think about it. The issue doesn't really occur with Frau, Madame, or the various permutations of seniora.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

barbados
1315733.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Checking how to address people is one of the things the beeb does well.

Dix
1315748.  Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
seniora

Is that an elderly Spanish lady?

barbados
1315782.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote

Interesting point raised in the staff room the other day, talking to year 4 children, about what they want to do when they grow up.
One of the girls in the class tells everyone she wants to be an MMA fighter.
Should she be encouraged to follow her dreams?

'yorz
1315789.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about that world, but I assume you have to be physically very fit. No idea how young you can be to start training for that particular sport. But yes, encourage her to take up (a) sport(s). Nowt wrong with that. And you never know what she can prove to excel in.

Alfred E Neuman
1315794.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:43 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
One of the girls in the class tells everyone she wants to be an MMA fighter.
Should she be encouraged to follow her dreams?

Why not? It would be judgemental to discourage her based on your perception and opinion of MMA fighters.

Like any career choice, emphasise the positive aspects - fitness, self defence, marketing of oneself, providing entertainment, and Iím sure there are more.

And never let her get the drop on you - itíll be embarrassing reporting a school girl for beating you up.

barbados
1315796.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote

One of the others wants to work in a supermarket on the customer service desk because he likes to announce things.
I wonder how they will have changed by the time they get into the hands of Suze (not that that is likely- different LEA)

'yorz
1315804.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote

Stretch his imagination and tell him about Sotheby's or similar.

GuyBarry
1315805.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote

Why? What's wrong with working on a supermarket customer service desk if you want to?

'yorz
1315806.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote

He's 4. Doesn't know yet that the announcer's world can be his lobster.

GuyBarry
1315808.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 am Reply with quote

Actually if he likes announcing things I reckon being a TV continuity announcer would be a great job. Your announcements can be heard by millions.

I'm put in mind of Charlotte Green, the former Radio 4 continuity announcer, who wanted to read the football results ever since she was six years old. She finally achieved her ambition in 2013:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/06/bbc-charlotte-green-classified-football-results

After she retired from Radio 4 she was interviewed on Newsnight and happened to mention that she'd always wanted to read the football results. Shortly afterwards James Alexander Gordon, who'd been reading them on radio for many years, retired due to surgery for cancer which affected his voice (he's since sadly passed on). The head of BBC Radio Sport remembered the Newsnight interview and took it as a job application!

Last edited by GuyBarry on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
1315810.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote

For instance. Basically, once you get beyond a certain age and IQ working retail mostly sucks, so a responsible teacher would want to steer the lad towards a more fun career in announcing...

AlmondFacialBar

GuyBarry
1315811.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Basically, once you get beyond a certain age and IQ working retail mostly sucks

I'll have none of that, thank you. The two years I spent running the newsagent's kiosk at Bath Bus Station (aged 39-41) were amongst the most enjoyable of my life, and it's certainly changed my attitude to retail work. I would never look down on anyone who chose to work in a shop.

You need to have dedicated, enthusiastic people working in retail just as much as you need them anywhere else. Possibly more so, because they have to face the public every day. Customer service is a really important skill.

AlmondFacialBar
1315813.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote

Neither would I, because it's incredibly hard work with little recognition that requires all sorts of skills if you're gonna do it right. There is, however, a difference between running a kiosk and working near the bottom of the ladder in a supermarket. The former gives you a certain amount of freedom and personal responsibility, and all in all respects you as a person. The latter basically conspires to think of you as an inanimate object.

AlmondFacialBar

GuyBarry
1315816.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure if that's really as true as it once was. Lidl, for instance, makes a genuine investment in its staff. It was the first UK supermarket to pay the "real" living wage (as opposed to the government minimum), and entry-level rates have just increased to £9/hour (£10.55/hour in London). It trains its staff well and keeps them busy, moving them between the shop floor and the stock room as required. I have a friend around my age who worked there for a while and he was very happy in the job. Supermarkets have started to realize that they need to motivate their staff just as much as anyone else does.

Sadly they don't have a customer service desk though, so no opportunities for our young friend...

Page 9 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next