View previous topic | View next topic

Queensferry Crossing

Page 1 of 1

astrojg
1313999.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote

There is some quite interesting facts about Queensferry Crossing.
It holds numerous records, including the longest three span cable stayed bridge (2.7km), the only cable stayed bridge with crossing cables, the worlds longest underwater concrete pour and highest bridge towers in the UK (210m).
The deflection of the ends of the cantilevers during construction was up to 4m IIRC.

Alexander Howard
1314015.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote

I passed the new bridge a couple of years ago I think it was, stretching out boldly from either side of the Forth. To me it looked very dangerous. Mind you, they hadn't put the middle section in yet.

tetsabb
1314031.  Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote

Odd that this post should go up when it did, as we crossed this very bridge yesterday on the way to Aberdeenshire. It was a bit cloudy and murky, so not the best of conditions. But we could clearly see the rail bridges to the east, and admire the cables holding us up.
A truly magnificent erection.

'yorz
1314034.  Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote

Which is always a joy to behold.

Mind, it just occurred to me that, had I still resided in Ivy Cottage, you two could have made a stop-over there. I certainly would have enjoyed that. Ah well....

tetsabb
1314036.  Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote

3 years too late!
Would have been a convenient stopping point. As it was, we stopped in Helmsley, and stayed in the B&B in the house I grew up in. Very comfy, and I can recommend it.

astrojg
1314093.  Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Odd that this post should go up when it did, as we crossed this very bridge yesterday on the way to Aberdeenshire. It was a bit cloudy and murky, so not the best of conditions. But we could clearly see the rail bridges to the east, and admire the cables holding us up.
A truly magnificent erection.

There is some great view points from either side of the firth where you can see the three bridges standing as a progression of long span bridge design - one per century.

GuyBarry
1314095.  Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
It was a bit cloudy and murky, so not the best of conditions. But we could clearly see the rail bridges to the east

You obviously couldn't see clearly enough. One of those "rail bridges" is the Forth Road Bridge.

Page 1 of 1