View previous topic | View next topic

Shamima Begum case

Page 14 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

PDR
1376002.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote

It isn't that they won't let her leave - they won't let her out of the camp unless she has somewhere to go. If she was going to be admitted to the UK for her trial then it's unlikely the camp would stop her departure, but they won't just open the door and let her wander out.

We have much the same arrangements for our refugee camps.

PDR

Brock
1376003.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Then could a third country step in, and allow her the right to travel to that country in order to mount an appeal against the removal of her citizenship?

PDR
1376009.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote

To date no such deal has been offered.

PDR

Brock
1376010.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote

I'm aware of that. I asked if it was a possibility.

It may well be that the case hasn't had sufficient publicity outside the UK. Perhaps a country with a long-standing record in upholding human rights (such as Sweden) might be persuaded to take up the case.

suze
1376015.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote

The camp where Ms Begum is residing is run by the Syrian Democratic Forces (HSD), a mostly Kurdish organisation which is not formally recognised by the British government or any other. The usual diplomatic channels are not available, and HSD's "best friend" at the international high table is Russia.

This complicates matters, it is fair to say, as does the assertion of the government of Bangladesh that Ms Begum will be executed if she enters that country.

PDR
1376021.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Perhaps a country with a long-standing record in upholding human rights (such as Sweden) might be persuaded to take up the case.

Only the Conservative Party could have dragged the UK down so far that in looking for an example of "a country with a long-standing record in upholding human rights" we don't suggest "the UK".

Are we not ASHAMED???

JESUS FUCKING WEPT WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS COUNTRY???

WE SHOULD BE AT TOP OF THAT LIST.

PDR

barbados
1376023.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The camp where Ms Begum is residing is run by the Syrian Democratic Forces (HSD), a mostly Kurdish organisation which is not formally recognised by the British government or any other. The usual diplomatic channels are not available, and HSD's "best friend" at the international high table is Russia.

And there was me thinking the SDF were US backed
Ho hum

cnb
1376038.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

No, the ones backed by the US are the Democratic Forces of Syria.

PDR
1376040.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote

Splitters!

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

barbados
1376042.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:44 am Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
barbados wrote:

No, the ones backed by the US are the Democratic Forces of Syria.

ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

CB27
1376045.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote

I have the urge to shout out "Wolf Nipple Chips".

barbados
1376049.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote

Are we in agreement that Ms Begum is a very naughty girl?

PDR
1376050.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote

I'll have a bag of Dromedary pretzels and a Tuscan-fried bat please. I mean I like a freshly fried chaffinch brain as much as the next man, but they give me such terrible wind.

PDR

PDR
1376051.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Are we in agreement that Ms Begum is a very naughty girl?

I don't think that was ever in doubt. And I don't believe that she's the Messiah. But I suggest the pertiant issue is what has a record of upholding human rights ever done for US!!

PDR

suze
1376052.  Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
And there was me thinking the SDF were US backed.

Were is the key word here.

Former President Trump basically switched sides in October 2019, and decided overnight that Erdoğan in Turkey was now his friend and therefore the SDF wasn't any more. "The Kurds didnít help us in the Second World War" was reported as part of his explanation for this.

Since President Trump was succeeded by President Biden, well the new President has made it very plain that the "official" Syrian government of Assad is not his friend. They say that your enemy's enemy is your friend, so maybe the US likes the SDF again - but the Middle East is rarely as simple as that and we don't really know yet.

Page 14 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14