View previous topic | View next topic

Search tool question(s)

Page 1 of 1

Dix
1312850.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote

I might be overlooking something really obvious, but ...

First question:
I've just searched the forums for a word and found the post I was looking for. But I can't see how to get to the specific post. (search doesn't show the whole text, and I'd like to read the rest)

The search results show links to the forum, the topic and the author, and it shows the date of the post. No link to the actual post and no post ID.
As I'm sure you are aware, some of our forum topics have several hundred pages....

Second question:
If I do have a post ID, what's the easiest way to get to that post?
I know how to create a link when posting, but not how to just "get there" for reading.

Feeling a bit stupid :-)

GuyBarry
1312865.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote

Dix wrote:

First question:
I've just searched the forums for a word and found the post I was looking for. But I can't see how to get to the specific post. (search doesn't show the whole text, and I'd like to read the rest)

Simply click on the subject header above the search result, and it takes you straight to the post concerned.

Quote:
Second question:
If I do have a post ID, what's the easiest way to get to that post?

I don't think there's a way of searching by post ID, so you need to enter the URL directly into your browser. E.g. for your post above (1312850) you'd enter

http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=1312850#1312850

If there's a better way I haven't found it yet!

crissdee
1312866.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 am Reply with quote

1) Just click on the thread title above and it will take you to the post.

2) You could create a temporary link for yourself and click on it, then delete it when you are done. There maybe a better way, but I am too Luddite to know.....

ninja'd by Guy!

GuyBarry
1312875.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote

Actually you've given me another idea about how to do (2): type the post ID in the "link" box in the reply window to create the BBCode for the link, but don't actually submit the post. So in this case you'd get:

[url=http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=1312850#1312850]post 1312850[/url]

You then cut-and-paste the URL into your browser, and close the reply window. Saves all that typing and doesn't create an unnecessary post.

Dix
1312892.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:

Simply click on the subject header above the search result, and it takes you straight to the post concerned.
Ah! I assumed that link would bring me to the topic, not the actual post. Duh!

Thank you.

dr.bob
1312905.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote

Yeah, that part of the search function is not massively intuitive, so don't feel dumb for not realising. I didn't either the first time I used it.

suze
1312926.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Actually you've given me another idea about how to do (2): type the post ID in the "link" box in the reply window to create the BBCode for the link, but don't actually submit the post. So in this case you'd get:

post 1312850

You then cut-and-paste the URL into your browser, and close the reply window. Saves all that typing and doesn't create an unnecessary post.

Another, perhaps easier, way to do that bit. If you create a link in the way that Guy suggests and then press Preview, the link you just made will be clickable.

Just remember not to press Submit!

Alfred E Neuman
1312929.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Just remember not to press Submit!

And if you do, just delete the post. Just click on the little x in a box at the top right of the post and after a quick confirmation, itís gone. No need to edit it and explain that it was created in error.

GuyBarry
1312932.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote

It depends. You can only delete the last post in a thread, so if someone else happens to make another post after yours before you get the chance to delete it, editing the post is the only option.

Page 1 of 1