View previous topic | View next topic

Eggs

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

grizzly
92251.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote

lol only at AS level

doe theology count as a science cos I did some of that with my Philosophy AS?

cabs
92263.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Theology (or Definite Article-ology) counts as a science. And an art. And a load of old tosh.

Yoda
107768.  Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote

How long does it take to boils an egg and why do people find it so difficult?
It would be QI to find out...... I think.

Refering to the attached link: http://www.khymos.org/eggs.php its all about time and temperature - go figure!

Seemingly the ratio of differences between the water, ambient temperature of the egg (eggs from the fridge as opposed to those at room temp) and the temperature of the yolk all have a bearing....as does the size (circumference) of the egg - go figure again!

So, having understood the formula (see link) why oh! why cant I boil an egg without a) having a snotty white, or b) a dried up yolk!

Yoda

dr.bob
107801.  Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

Egg from fridge, into a pan of cold water. Switch on hob and wait for water to boil. Once water reaches boiling point, boil for another 5 minutes.

Voila! Hard boiled egg with slightly runny yolk.

Yum!

adsinfinitum
110689.  Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote

How to test if an egg is still "good" or not (barely remembered, then nicked from ehow.com):

1. Fill a deep bowl or pan with enough cold tap water to cover an egg.
2. Place the egg in the water.
3. If the egg lies on its side on the bottom, the air cell within is small and it's very fresh.
4. If the egg stands up and bobs on the bottom, the air cell is larger and it isn't quite as fresh.
5. If the egg floats on the surface, it should be discarded.

adsinfinitum
110691.  Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Also, possible Alan-bait is that old nonsense about being able to standing an egg on its end during the Spring Equinox (and only on that day).

Apparently you can do it any day of the year. To whit:

http://www.snopes.com/science/equinox.htm

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/egg_spin.html#badegg

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_089.html

dr.bob
110945.  Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote

Eggs are structurally very strong. I'm sure quite a few people have seem someone at some point demonstrate this by balancing a chair on top of four eggs standing on their points and then sitting on the chair. Usually this goes a bit pear shaped when the forces become unbalanced and one of the eggs gives in, rapidly followed by all the others.

A different demonstration I saw recently which quite impressed me was on that barely disguised remake of The Great Egg Race presented by Richard Hammond. In it he was given an egg by one of the experts and told simply to crush it in one hand.

He was completely unable to.

I've not tried it myself, but it seems as though a clenched hand will provide a suitably balanced force to the outside of the shell that makes it very hard to break it.

Might be a good practical experiment to try on the 'E' series :)

Jenny
111520.  Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote

I'd quite like to try that experiment, but have a sneaky feeling I'd end up with a messy handful of egg.

dr.bob
111585.  Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote

In that case do it outside whilst wearing an apron :)

Though, if we are to believe Mr Hammond, your hand will remain entirely free of egg.

King of Quok
131493.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote

Would there be more Alan-bait if we brought up Scotch eggs (not literally, that would be unpleasant)? I understand that some chef at Fotnum and Mason cobbled them together and that they have b*gger all to do with Scotland at all, though I may be wrong.

samivel
131495.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote

You might be wrong, but that would mean that I am as well, because I believe your version. AFAIK, they were invented at Fortnum & Mason sometime in the 18th century.

The Luggage
131708.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I'd quite like to try that experiment, but have a sneaky feeling I'd end up with a messy handful of egg.

I've just tried it, and it does indeed work. I squeezed until my knuckles turned white, and no breakage! I am amazed.

Amie
132270.  Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

I have nothing to add on the subject of eggs, but I shall quote Oscar Wilde instead, 'An egg is always an adventure.'

Mr Grue
257456.  Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote

I suspect this egg has already had one.

Image hosted at flickr

peteraugusts
691044.  Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote

To make hard boiled eggs, here's the secret: Don't boil them. The "perfect" hard boiled egg (tender white, semi-solid yolk) can be reliably cooked by keeping the egg at 65C or 149F (well below the boiling point of water) for 6 hours or more but most people don't have that kind of time and patience.

If you are using white eggs, throw some onion skins (the dry brown part) in the water when you cook them. They will color the eggs a pretty shade of brown, and you'll be able to tell the difference between cooked and uncooked at a glance.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next