View previous topic | View next topic

Eggs

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cleverina Clogs
81925.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote

It takes 30 size 2 hens eggs to make up the same volume as 1 ostrich egg.

Think of the omlette that would make!

 
Jenny
81935.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote

The world's largest omelette was made last year using 1100 hens eggs. Just think - they could have done it with only 37 ostrich eggs!

http://www.nbc5.com/irresistible/4607537/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=1260382&dppid=65193

 
Flash
81968.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote

The largest egg laid by any animal (including the largest dinosaurs) was produced by the elephant bird (Aepyornis maximus) of Madagascar, which became extinct about 1700. It was ten times the size of an ostrich egg, holding up to nine litres – the equivalent of 180 chicken’s eggs. Aepyornis is thought to be the basis for the legend of the fierce roc that Sinbad battles in the Arabian Nights. The National Geographic Society in Washington holds a specimen of an Aepyornis egg which was discovered by Luis Marden in 1967. The specimen is intact and contains an embryonic skeleton of the unborn bird.

 
Flash
81969.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote

The ostrich egg does hold two unassailable records. It is the largest single cell in the world and it is the smallest bird's egg in comparison to body size (about 1.4% of the mother's weight). The unenviable holder of the largest egg in comparison to size is the little spotted kiwi which lays an egg that weighs a scarcely credible 26% of the mother's weight. This would be the equivalent of a human mother giving birth to a six year old child.

An ostrich egg weighs as much as 24 hen's eggs. To soft boil one takes 45 minutes. Queen Victoria tucked into one for breakfast and declared it among the best meals she had ever eaten.

This is all according to my colleague Senor Menocchio, anyway.

 
Celebaelin
82015.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
The National Geographic Society in Washington holds a specimen of an Aepyornis egg which was discovered by Luis Marden in 1967. The specimen is intact and contains an embryonic skeleton of the unborn bird.

Opening the opportunity for cloning. Sooooo, large bird-like predators (presumably a predator) are no-longer necessarily a thing of the past.

Let's Roc!

 
Mr Grue
91117.  Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote

On a lower level of QIness, or perhaps GIness, the chick forms in the albumen, and not the yolk.

 
grizzly
91119.  Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
The largest egg laid by any animal (including the largest dinosaurs) was produced by the elephant bird (Aepyornis maximus) of Madagascar, which became extinct about 1700. It was ten times the size of an ostrich egg, holding up to nine litres – the equivalent of 180 chicken’s eggs. Aepyornis is thought to be the basis for the legend of the fierce roc that Sinbad battles in the Arabian Nights. The National Geographic Society in Washington holds a specimen of an Aepyornis egg which was discovered by Luis Marden in 1967. The specimen is intact and contains an embryonic skeleton of the unborn bird.


Did it go extinct in 1700 or 1700 years ago?

 
grizzly
91120.  Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
The ostrich egg does hold two unassailable records. It is the largest single cell in the world and it is the smallest bird's egg in comparison to body size (about 1.4% of the mother's weight).


Is that the largest cell (i.e. an ova) or the actual egg? I don't think the fertilised egg once laid is a single cell is it?

 
Flash
91138.  Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Did it go extinct in 1700 or 1700 years ago?

The wiki entry describes them as "extinct since at least the 16th century".

Quote:
I don't think the fertilised egg once laid is a single cell is it?

The wiki again, from the entry called Cell (Biology):
Quote:
The cell is the structural and functional unit of all living organisms, and is sometimes called the "building block of life." Some organisms, such as bacteria, are unicellular, consisting of a single cell. Other organisms, such as humans, are multicellular, .... The largest known cell is an ostrich egg.

I guess you must be right about the fertilised egg, though.

 
grizzly
91142.  Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote

Yes, I understand that the ova is the largest cell in most animals (including humans, sperm are the smallest BTW) and since it has the largest egg it would be logical to expect that the ova is also the largest.

 
gerontius grumpus
92217.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Yes, I understand that the ova is the largest cell in most animals (including humans, sperm are the smallest BTW) and since it has the largest egg it would be logical to expect that the ova is also the largest.




Don't you mean the ovum is the largest cell in most animals?

Or perhaps ova are the largest cells in most animals?

 
grizzly
92218.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote

ova, ovum, it's one of those words that I can never remember the plural from the singular.

 
cabs
92225.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Were we not paying attention in our Latin lessons?

 
grizzly
92239.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote

lol

no Latin here, Biology yes :-)

 
cabs
92248.  Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote

You got an -ology? You're a scientist!

 

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group