View previous topic | View next topic

Source for a comment in S04E09 (Doves)

Page 1 of 1

fugue
1310178.  Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote

Hi, all!

My apologies if this is not the correct place to put this post.

In the 9th episode of D Series, at about 19:15, Stephen makes a comment about how African American youth in the worst urban areas of the United States (he specifically mentions Watts, an area in Los Angeles) have a longer life expectancy if they end up on death row rather than staying on the street.

First, as an American, I was both appalled and resigned at finding this out from a non-American source. It should be headline material all over this country, but sadly I can't say I am really surprised that it isn't. My sister reads the BBC news for information about the United States (and none of the homegrown outlets) for this very reason.

Second, does anyone know the source for this information? If I mention it to a fellow American, am challenged for a source, and say a British talk show, I will probably be dismissed out of hand. Saying that it was Stephen Fry on the British talk show won't help matters. (The general ignorance of my people is appalling, too. . . .)

Any leads on the source would be appreciated. Thank you!

'yorz
1310182.  Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote

Good query. I'd like to know the source, too.

As for your homestead - I hope your journey to Ithaca was as interesting and fulfilling as the poem* describes. :-)

fugue
1310183.  Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote

Well, the journey—which hardly qualified as an epic—was thirty years ago now. My friends say that after graduation, I never "achieved escape velocity."

Jenny
1310200.  Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote

This New York Times article includes this quote:

Quote:
The rate of executions is sufficiently low relative to the number of death sentences handed out that the economists Lawrence Katz, Steven Levitt and Ellen Shustorovich have calculated that “the execution rate on death row is only twice the death rate from accidents and violence among all American men.” Once you take account of the violent life circumstances of many murderers, they argue, death row may actually be safer than life on the street.

Linked in that quote is this article:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/lkatz/files/prison_conditions_capital_punishment_and_deterrence.pdf

The NYT article won't have been the original source because that was published in 2014, after the D series came out, but I believe the linked article may have been the source for both.

fugue
1314747.  Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote

My apologies for my thanks being so late.

Especially since this is exactly what I needed!

Thank you for your kindness (and tolerance)!

Page 1 of 1