View previous topic | View next topic

shattered illusion

Page 1 of 1

Tarkus1731
1308286.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote

Iíve just been given the 2024 facts book for Christmas and Iím only on page 5 and I read that Ailsa Craig, where all Olympic curling stones come from is only 10 miles from Glasgow. As I live in Glasgow and worked in Ayrshire for 20 years I knew, without looking, that this fact was inaccurate. The distance from Glasgow to Aisla Craig according to Google maps is 54 miles, as the crow flies.
The link on the the books webpage states that AC is 10 miles from the Ayrshire coast. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT QI😡😡

Malkypops
1308290.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote

Hi. I too have just got the book for Christmas ( Merry xmas by the way ! ) and like you, settled down last night to flick through the pages and stopped at page 5 !! Ailsa craig as you say is some 54 miles from Glasgow..however, it sits 10 miles off the coast of Scotland..and as I have found out on many occasions, there are so many folks who live south of the M25 who think that Scotland and Glasgow are one and the same thing !! I had a most interesting conversation with a company recently who said that the shipping from London to where I live in SW Scotland was so high as it wasn't on the mainland !!!!! Perhaps QI stands for questionable information !!!

GuyBarry
1308299.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote

Malkypops wrote:
there are so many folks who live south of the M25 who think that Scotland and Glasgow are one and the same thing !!

Are there also many people in Scotland who think that the M25 is a east-west demarcation line, dividing the country into north and south? It is in fact an orbital route[*] surrounding London, and the conventional demarcation is "inside" versus "outside" the M25. For example, I'm posting this in Bath, which is neither north nor south of the M25 but about 100 miles west of it.

I suppose most of Surrey can be reasonably said to be "south of the M25", but London is just as much "north of the M25" as "south of the M25" (and indeed east and west of it).

[*]Including the A282 for current purposes.

Last edited by GuyBarry on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Malkypops
1308304.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote

OMG I should have known better than to make such a geographical error on a site like this :o) I guess I should have said " south of Watford !! " but point taken. I should also say that I am quite sure there are thousands north of the border ( that's the Scotland/England border by the way ! ) who haven't a clue what lies south of Carlisle ! but just thought I,d point out this error :o) ps..having lived on the south coast near Eastbourne for a few years am aware of the M25 and the fact that it doesn't run West to East ;O)

GuyBarry
1308306.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote

That's OK. Just making the point that if you're going to point out a geographical error, it's as well to have your own geographical facts right!

But how on earth the publishers of the QI book could drop such a clanger I've no idea. Glasgow is more than ten miles inland!

crissdee
1308315.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote

I don't doubt the guilty Elf will be thoroughly chastised for their error.

edited to add in a word I'mn SURE I put there when I wrote it!

Last edited by crissdee on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bondee
1308321.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Removal of biscuit privilege is the usual punishment, if I'm not mistaken.

Page 1 of 1