Celebaelin
1389069.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote

147 for 6 now.

What does that do to the %!

Celebaelin
1389077.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote

Tea.

England are 193 for 8.

In the final session of the day Overton, Robinson and Anderson must make a further 175 between them to win or lose only one of their joint wickets to draw; neither eventuality seems very likely.

suze
1389092.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote

And neither unlikely eventuality came to pass. I shall blame the good husband, for calling the game as an England win on the first day!

As for our lot, well the Mighty 4th XI had already completed its fixtures and was not in action this week. The 1st XI lost, on a pitch which was described to me as "an absolute disgrace" by the good husband, and in the same way but with added expletives by the Antipodean captain. They have one game still to play.

The 2nd XI and 3rd XIs completed their fixtures on Saturday, and both won. The 3rd XI have finished in fourth place in their division, with which the lady captain pronounces herself entirely happy. The 2nd XI have finished third, one off a promotion, but their captain is hearing a whisper that the team who have finished second are minded to decline promotion - in which case we would be offered the place instead. I haven't heard anything officially wearing my Secretary's hat, so that is a space to be watched.

Andy and I don't normally get involved with the "Development" team, a Under-19 XI which plays its matches on Sundays, but we did go and see them win their cup semi final yesterday. The final is this coming Sunday, but it's right out on the coast and we are currently having a battle of consciences about going to it!

tetsabb
1389096.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote

'Right out on the coast's is an intriguing phrase. Three sides of Kent are coast....

suze
1389105.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Two sides really.

Kent has a west border with London and Surrey, and a south border with East Sussex. The north and the east adjoin water, but we Kentish Folk and Folk Of Kent tend to consider the Thames Estuary as inshore waters and hence not "proper coast".

Not until you get to North Foreland does it became "proper coast", and I did mean the Channel coast.

tetsabb
1389106.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote

I was unaware of such fine distinctions.😉

I have just looked at the weather for Personchester for the next week. Looks rather... moist....

barbados
1389467.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote

Interesting developments at OT today.
It would appear that India are unable to field a team, even though the PCR tests came back negative yesterday, and the IPL starts in 10 days.

suze
1389490.  Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote

The good husband reckons that the ECB got it right first time around, in its press statement that India had forfeited the match. That statement was de-issued within 15 minutes, but the man will be most unhappy unless that is the final outcome.

If their players had tested positive for the pestilence that would have been one thing, but none of them have. The ECB's later statement insists that "This is not a situation which has been created by the rescheduled IPL", but it seems highly unlikely that anyone actually believes that statement.

The whole situation seems destined to be unraveled by the courts rather than by cricketers.

tetsabb
1389512.  Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote

If India forfeited the match, does that mean the series ends 2-2?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1389594.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote

A pity that the 5th Test between England and India could not go ahead to to covid cases in the India support team.

They need to investigate how this came about.

suze
1389633.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
If India forfeited the match, does that mean the series ends 2-2?

That is what various people connected with English cricket are saying ought to happen, yes. Notably, Michael Vaughan has been saying so fairly loudly. Unsurprisingly, those connected with Indian cricket take the other view.

Our season is now at an end, and it finished with two defeats. The 1st XI lost its final league game, but came fifth in the league all the same and consider that highly satisfactory.

The Development team lost its cup final as well, but the young people were by no means disgraced and enjoyed their coach trip to the seaside. (Which the President has decided that the club, rather than the young people themselves, will pay for. He hasn't told the Treasurer yet ...)

It was the first time that this particular squad of young players had taken part in this competition, and they are very sure that they'd like to do it again next year.

tetsabb
1390686.  Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote

Change of terminology
Not before time, in mine 'umble

Page 57 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57