View previous topic | View next topic

A generic cricket thread.

Page 56 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next

tetsabb
1388456.  Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote

And India crumbled on the 4th morning, with Englsnd winning by an innings and 76.
Oval and Old Trafford to come.

suze
1388491.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote

And in the wrong order, according to the man.

For one thing, it is apparently the law that the last test match of the season is played at The Oval in autumnal sunshine - and the Weather God does usually play ball. The test match there not being the last one is morally wrong, it is felt.

For a second thing, that last game at Old Trafford starts on 10 September. That is really quite late in the year for a test match in England, and if there must be one that late it surely has to be in the south. Having it in Manchester is just asking for trouble, not least because it will be dark by 6.30.

Three wins out of four for our lot yesterday. The 1st XI just about won a bad tempered game against a club with whom they have some History, the 2nd XI won very easily against a team of nine old men and boys (a lot of clubs do struggle for full teams on this particular weekend), while the 3rd XI narrowly lost against their division's champions-elect. One game to go for the 2nd and 3rd XIs, two for the 1st XI because they have a COVID-postponed game which is to be fitted in after the official end of the season.

The Mighty 4th XI completed its fixtures yesterday, and ends with a record of Played 16, Won 14, Rained Off 2. Not entirely to my surprise I did end up taking the coloured pencils along. Rather more to my surprise, Elz said she'd umpire since neither team had an umpire organised. The opposing captain was initially a bit skeptical about a woman umpiring, and muttered a bit when he bowled one of our players only for Elz to call a no ball. (No balls tend not to get called in 4th XI cricket, but the fellow does not dispute that the call was correct.)

In fairness to the fellow, he did buy both Elz and me a drink at the end of the game, and meant it when he said that having the two of us present had made everyone's lives just a bit easier.

Jessica watched cricket for the first time, toddled, and managed not to get hit by the ball. Her father may have mentioned Arsenal losing 0-5 more times than strictly necessary; it is apparently as yet undecided whether Jessica is to support Arsenal like her mother or Derby County like her father.

crissdee
1388498.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote

If my business idea takes off, I shall make something with Llewelyn and a cricket bat, just for Jessica!

tetsabb
1388511.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Her father may have mentioned Arsenal losing 0-5 more times than strictly necessary;

I am not sure that is possible.
<Checks Laws of Nature
Nope!

Edit Ooh, I have just looked at the Premier League standings. Look who has played 3, lost 3?

Anyway, I hope Jessica grows up a free, independent woman, and makes her own decision as to who she supports. Leicester Tigers perhaps?
😉

Last edited by tetsabb on Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
1388515.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Anyway, I hope Jessica grows up a free, independent woman, and makes her own decision as to who she supports.

I'm sure she will, but it would be unusual for a child not to support the same team as one or other parent, if both parents do have a declared team.

suze
1388565.  Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote

As is standard on the August Bank Holiday, today was President's Day at our cricket club.

The President chose not to play himself, and delegated his team to The Recent Graduate. It included two recent Camford Blues (who might be looking for a club for next year ...), a Nepalese friend of the Burmese 4th XI captain (ditto, but he's not quite as good), a Greek restaurateur, a sometime professional fooballist, and the President's own daughter.

The Antipodean 1st XI captain too delegated, this time to the lady 3rd XI captain, and a thoroughly silly afternoon was had by all. The game was a contrived tie, as is rather common on such occasions, and when it came to the drinks interval the usual tincture of Mr Robinson was replaced by that of Mr Pimm.

I didn't even have to take the coloured pencils. The President didn't want to do it either, so we borrowed another club's scorer and spent our afternoons with Mr Pimm.

suze
1388741.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:32 am Reply with quote

In more serious cricketing, the Fourth Test has started at The Oval this morning. England will be the happier team at lunch, with India on 54 for 3.

Both the good husband and the serious commentators (well, insofar as Tuffers is ever serious about anything) are incredulous that India's team does not include R Ashwin.

The man tells it thus: "The Oval is the second most spinner-suited ground in the country. (After Taunton, but they don't play test matches there.) You always play two spinners at The Oval - but India are only playing one, and not even their best one."

It's a bold call with the game only two hours old, but he calls this one for England.

tetsabb
1388766.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

It's a bold call with the game only two hours old, but he calls this one for England.

I have been asleep all day, being on nights, and arose to find India 7 down, and quite soon after, all out for 191.
We need a good, solid day-and-a-half of English batting, and he could be right!

tetsabb
1388772.  Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear, 52/3, with Root just bowled for 21.
Double century from Bairstow, please...

tetsabb
1388857.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote

'Twas not to be.
England currently lead by 75, with Woakes and , ahem, Anderson at the wicket.

Celebaelin
1388876.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote

An interesting days play which I caught most of via 5 Live.

England all out for 290
99 runs ahead (Pope 81, Woakes 50)

India 43 without loss at stumps.

Anderson's 99th Not Out in a test match incidentally - with the potential for the 100th in England's second innings - assuming there will be one which seems like a fairly safe assumption.

Celebaelin
1388932.  Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote

Looking a bit grim - India end day three on 270 for 3

Rohit Sharma 127
Cheteshwar Pujara 61

India lead by 171 runs.

Celebaelin
1389033.  Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote

India 466

England 77 for 0 at stumps needing a home record 368 total to win (291 to make on day 5).

Celebaelin
1389066.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:37 am Reply with quote

England 131 for 2 at lunch.

Celebaelin
1389067.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote

146 for 5 now.

Page 56 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next