View previous topic | View next topic

A generic cricket thread.

Page 55 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

CB27
1385181.  Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote

OK, I don't normally comment on this thread, but that run chase against Pakistan was rather glorious to watch.

suze, I take it you wouldn't support a Cricket Sixes tournament then :p

tetsabb
1385194.  Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
tetsabb wrote:
It might be nice to see some cricket on our screens.

Allow me to channel the good husband for a moment.

That might be indeed be nice, but instead they're showing T20.

And, at the risk of further endangering the lad's blood pressure, the 100 starts next week.
Will he be glued to it?
😉

suze
1385199.  Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
suze, I take it you wouldn't support a Cricket Sixes tournament then :p

One of the clubs with which ours has a friendly rivalry does in fact stage a Sixes tournament every year. Six players per team, each team bats for five overs (of eight balls, or the gane is too quick), everyone except the wicketkeeper bowls one over.

It's not "proper cricket" by a long stretch and the good man has never chosen to take part in it, but I went to the 2019 event and found it quite good fun to watch. Mysteriously, it became more and more fun the longer the bar stayed open ...

tetsabb wrote:
And, at the risk of further endangering the lad's blood pressure, the 100 starts next week. Will he be glued to it?

We've decided that we'll watch the first game, which is a women's game and is being shown on the BBC. After that, I suspect that he may not be.

But OK, we did watch the women's T20 game this evening. Some of India's bowling and fielding was sufficiently poor that even I noticed that it was poor. If bowling at 30 mph a meter outside the off stump is to become a mainstream tactic, perhaps I should invest in a pair of cricket shoes ...

suze
1385415.  Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote

Our lot put five teams onto the field yesterday. We don't do that very often, but the second half of July is always the most likely time for it to happen. Had it not been for a handful of enforced isolations, holidays, and one who has been unexpectedly called back into county cricket (to cover enforced isolations there), we'd have been close to an unprecedented six.

The results weren't quite as impressive as the turnout, and the top three teams all lost. The mighty 4th XI won, but had to do without me and my coloured pencils this week because I fell on my own sword and offered to manage the scratch 5th XI.

The main part of that job was to ensure that the team included enough people with cars to get to the game. I was not ungrateful when the father of one of the U-15s who was playing offered to drive people to the game, "and since I'm going to be there anyway, I'll umpire if you want".

Nine players under 20, three of them female, one guy whose enthusiasm far surpasses his ability but who will always play when we need him to - he captained the team, not a role he'd ever expected to undertake - and a friend of a friend who plays only occasionally but turned out to be quite good.

The father with the car was a decent player himself as a young man, and may have "advised" the captain a bit while umpiring. I sat under an umbrella with the coloured pencils and made sure that the young people used plenty of sunscreen. Oh, and we won the game. All 22 had a bat, 15 had a bowl, and it was a successful venture all round.

crissdee
1385417.  Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Our lot put five teams onto the field yesterday.

Five different fields, one hopes, or else it would be both unfair and crowded!

suze
1385432.  Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote

Five different fields indeed, although two of them were separated only by a hedge.

According to the man who knows, there are a handful of instances around the country where two cricket fields overlap. The pitches - the flat bits with stumps at each end - are separate, but the outfields overlap and fielders are in danger of being hit in the back by the ball from the other game.

This is perceived as unfair, crowded, and dangerous, and Andy has seen a piece of solemn health and safety advice stating that it is "best avoided". Largely for the last reason such venues are now much less common than once, but they are still common in South Asia.

suze
1388261.  Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote

I've not said anything about cricket on here recently, mainly because only Frant reads it and she hasn't been seen here for a while.

But England has made a decent start to the Third Test against India which began today. Some of India's batting was less than ept as they were bowled out for 78, and England have reached that score already.

But the big news is that England's pair of opening batsmen are believed to be the first ever pair of opening batsmen in a men's test match who both have a ponytail ! "Not in my day", says the man ...

tetsabb
1388274.  Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Speaking as a man who currently ties his hair back in a mini-pony tail, I applaud this heartily.
😉

tetsabb
1388325.  Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I've not said anything about cricket on here recently, mainly because only Frant reads it

Ahem! The man you thought lived in Frant (?) begs to differ....

Meanwhile, a very good start for England. One comment on cricinfo to the effect that, coming in to bat at 162/2, Root won't know what to do!

suze
1388330.  Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote

Very good Sir!

I think I actually thought you lived in Crowborough before I knew where you do in fact live. All I know about Frant (place in Sussex) is that it has a split level cricket ground, while I trust that Frant (person in Surrey) is well.

As for our lot, well the season draws towards its close. The 1st XI are safely mid-table with three games remaining. The mighty 4th XI haven't lost a game all year and are nailed on for promotion, which should become a mathematical certainty this Saturday. I'm not down to take the coloured pencils to that game since Elz and her husband and child will be visiting, but if it's a nice day and we fancy getting out of the house for a few hours ...

Tunbridge Wells CC of the excessively large ground have reached the National T20 final, and there have been a fair number of silly comments about their opponents in that final. Barnard Castle CC!

And England are indeed well on top in the Third Test. I know that one shouldn't say things like this, but it would actually be quite hard for them to lose from here.

tetsabb
1388344.  Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Barnard Castle CC

I see.

Badly

Is that the kind of thing?

suze
1388360.  Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote

That sort of thing, yes!

The good man thinks that England ought to declare at 400, and get India back in for fifteen minutes this evening.

tetsabb
1388363.  Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Some of the pundits on cricinfo are suggesting India could bat all tomorrow and Saturday, score 600 or so, set a target of 200 ish, and get England out cheaply on Day 5.
Seems unlikely, but weird stuff can happen in cricket...

suze
1388442.  Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote

And after today, it just might ...

Now, you will be aware that the good husband doesn't really consider T20 to be "proper cricket". Elz is rather keener on it, not least because three of the four hundreds she has to her name have been in T20 games, and since her household is visiting ours this weekend we watched Kent beat Warwickshire this evening.

The win means that the four semi finalists are Hampshire, Kent, Somerset, and Sussex. Or to put that another way, Canterbury is the most northerly of the four teams' primary home venues!

The north really must try a bit harder, it is suggested.

tetsabb
1388450.  Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote

Or perhaps the North prefers to concentrate more on 'proper' cricket?
😉

Page 55 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next