View previous topic | View next topic

A generic cricket thread.

Page 1 of 57
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Alfred E Neuman
1308180.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote

I donít feel like starting a thread just for the series between South Africa and Pakistan (itís probably mostly franticllama and I whoíre really interested in it) but perhaps we could use a thread for the cricket fans here.

I know frantic will be following the Boxing Day test at Centurion tomorrow, where Dale Steyn will be hoping to go past Shaun Pollockís record of 421 test wickets for a South African bowler. Heís been off injured for a while now, and I for one thought his test career was over, but he seems confident that heís got his shoulder sorted out, and with a bit of luck heíll last the series. That heíll be fired up is a given.

Iím looking forward to seeing what happens with him at one end and Rabada at the other. Iím pretty sure the groundsman at Centurion knows what type of pitch is required. Itís at times like this I wonder if I shouldnít just get a bloody TV set. If there was any way I could know with certainty that weíd be bowling tomorrow morning, Iíd consider driving up there for the day. Failing that, letís hope the guys from guerillacricket are on form too.

tetsabb
1308186.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote

That could be a good series.
I am following Aus/ India, which is gripping. Even though I am neither Strine nor Indian

But then I just love cricket......

Alfred E Neuman
1308188.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
But then I just love cricket......

I donít like cricket either :-)

Thereís something relaxing about following a series between two neutral teams, although Iím not really all that neutral when it come to Aus. They came back strongly in Perth. I think many were expecting Indiaís pace bowlers to do a bit better there. I know I was.

tetsabb
1308193.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote

And no spinner for India....so who took oodles of wickets?

Alfred E Neuman
1308201.  Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote

With the tests in Melbourne and Centurion going on at the same time, thereíll be about 16 hours of cricket a day for the next few days.

Alfred E Neuman
1308226.  Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote

I see India had a pretty good first day (215/2) during the small hours of this morning, and Pakistan are scoring fairly quickly, but losing wickets quickly too (67/4 off the first 20 overs).

Dale Steyn took the second wicket to fall, taking his career to 422 wickets in 89 matches.

Not a bad day at all so far.

tetsabb
1308239.  Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote

And getting better and better for SA!

Alfred E Neuman
1308244.  Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote

Was looking really bleak for Pakistan on Nelson, but eighty for the last two wickets was pretty good. 181 all out. Weíll soon see if itís the conditions or the bowling that caused that.

tetsabb
1308295.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote

It would appear that conditions may not have favoured SA either. Low-scoring Tests can be among the most exciting.

India, meanwhile, have totted up 400+, but failed to dislodge Australian openers.

tetsabb
1308313.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote

And so SA need 149 to win. Pakistan have some very good bowlists. If SA get off to a good start, it could be all over soon after lunch. But....
We shall see.

Alfred E Neuman
1308340.  Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Iíve been out and about being dragged around town by my daughters and only caught the score once or twice. One of the comments I read on cricinfo yesterday (Boxing Day) was that the Pakistani fans were being too harsh on their team and that they should at least wait until both teams had batted before lambasting their batsmen. Turns out he was quite right. Iím liking Duane Olivier though, hoping that itís not just a flash in the pan.

It could indeed be exciting. It certainly wonít be a draw :-)

The Indians may not have got the Aussie openers out, but they only had a few overs at them, so weíll see (in a few minutes time) how long they last. Iím predicting a good win for India.

tetsabb
1308354.  Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote

And let's not forget NZ, who are thumping Sri Lanka at the moment.
What a lot of cricket being played in the deep Midwinter!

Alfred E Neuman
1308365.  Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote

Two low-scoring first innings between Sri Lanka and New Zealand and then a huge second innings for New Zealand. Quite unusual.

And India are doing the opposite. Good first innings and woeful in the second. They should have a big enough lead, but there is plenty of time if the Aussies decide to bat properly. Iím still going with India winning though.

And with a bit of luck, South Africa will have won by nine wickets before tea today.

tetsabb
1308381.  Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote

6 wickets, in fact.
Seems like the ball was misbehaving for all three days the match lasted.
Unusual fact from cricinfo -- both captains bagged a pair of ducks in this match. Never happened before. I love cricket trivia!

suze
1308388.  Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Both captains bagged a pair of ducks in this match. Never happened before.

I know a man who may need to be told this. I'll be really annoyed if he already knows ...

Page 1 of 57
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next