View previous topic | View next topic

Explosions

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

smiley_face
152467.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Not to mention the fact that water expands when it freezes.

And, rather confusingly, when it heats up. Bloody hydrogen bonding over-complicating matters!

Archie
152473.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Can I ask a question?

Yes you can. In fact, it's positively encouraged.

grizzly
152557.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall it was classed as some sort of plant, but just looked like sandy sediment in the bottom of a bottle.

Would you be referring to the yeast (a type of single-celled fungus)?

Lucifers_Lady
228965.  Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Lucifers_Lady on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
229306.  Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Ah yes the bombardier beetle - the creationists used to think of this one as their best friend in a defence against the wicked evilutionists. Some of them still do, I believe.

Jerrythesheep
951285.  Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote

@ smley_face

Sorry but the solubility of most gases in water decreases with rising temperature. Warm soda will fizz and bubble much more than cold soda. Henry's Law states that the solubility of a gas in a liquid is dependent on the partial pressure of the gas above the liquid. The warmer the liquid, the higher the kinetic energy of the molecules, the more likely bonds between solvent and gas molecules will be broken. Alternatively, the formation of bonds between gas molecules and solvent molecules will be exothermic. Heat can be thought of as a product of the reaction and Le Chatalier would predict that the solubility reaction would move to the left (free gas and solvent), releasing gas as the temperature rises. That is why when you draw a glass of cold water for your bedside table at night, in the morning it usually has bubbles in it as the water temperature has risen to the room's temperature.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3