View previous topic | View next topic

Eels

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tas
167772.  Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

I thought a sniggle was what happened when you got a fit of the giggles mid-snog.

Oh well.

:-)

Tas

swot
168114.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote

That could be a klaxon.

gerontius grumpus
168334.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote

HasBeany wrote:
My very favourite thing about eels is the word used for catching them. It's just so adorable and seems to have nothing to do with the action. The word is sniggle.

It means to catch eels by dropping bait in their hiding places. The practice has been around for millennia and eel catching equipment has been discovered in North and South America and throughout Europe. The word sniggle I believe began to be used in the 17th century and probably comes from a combo of snig + eel, with snig meaning snag.

Well, I think it's quite interesting!
;)

Is that the method where you thread hundreds of earthworms on a hank of wool and dangle the big wormy bundle on the end of a thick string on a long, stout pole and lift the eels out as they hang onto the bait?

I read an article about this method years ago but I can't remember what they called it.

HasBeany
168355.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
HasBeany wrote:
My very favourite thing about eels is the word used for catching them. It's just so adorable and seems to have nothing to do with the action. The word is sniggle.

It means to catch eels by dropping bait in their hiding places. The practice has been around for millennia and eel catching equipment has been discovered in North and South America and throughout Europe. The word sniggle I believe began to be used in the 17th century and probably comes from a combo of snig + eel, with snig meaning snag.

Well, I think it's quite interesting!
;)

Is that the method where you thread hundreds of earthworms on a hank of wool and dangle the big wormy bundle on the end of a thick string on a long, stout pole and lift the eels out as they hang onto the bait?

I read an article about this method years ago but I can't remember what they called it.

I'm no expert, believe me! But I think you're referring to bobbing, sometimes called blobbing. Here's a decent reference page.
Quote:
A hookless linefishing method is known in many countries; in England this is known as “bobbing” or “blobbing”, etc. In this method lob worms are threaded lengthwise on a rough twine (sometimes made up of a combination of hemp and wool). This wormline is crowded together and weighted with small lead shots. It is fished at the bottom where the eel comes across the bait and becomes entangled by its teeth when taking the bait. The eel can then be caught if lifted very quickly out of the water and over a box or an open umbrella held upside down to receive the fish. This method is known not only in Western Europe but also in Turkey. Some Australian tribes also practice it. Modern eelbobs are made of a little bag of nylon hoses filled with bait and a weight. Here also the eel is caught by becoming hooked by its teeth in the fabric when attempting to get at the bait as already described.

Lines with hooks are used in present-day eelfishing. These hooks can be curved in the usual form, but gorges are also known. In France, gorges are used especially for eelfishing even today. In England, gorges in the form of needles are used for eelfishing in a method called “sniggling”.

Mulvil
168363.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Eels are remarkably difficult to farm, in particular if you want to develop a hatchery!!

DiesIrae
1171954.  Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote

Couple hundred years ago people from Estonia believed, that in nighttime eels came and steal their peas from fields. As odd as it is, but as been pointed out, eels weren't considered fish until late 18 century.
I believe there is some species of pike that can migrate from one river to another by land, so maybe it wasn't so stupid thought afterall. Silly people those old folks.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3