Goto page Previous  1, 2

Alfred E Neuman
1307010.  Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
Hello!

Hello 😀

bemahan
1307020.  Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Hello Alf! Just been reading your post about your dogs. They are clearly very brave or a bit stoopid. I would definitely have run the other way!

Alfred E Neuman
1307042.  Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote

The annoying thing is that by the time I’d found a bucket and broom, the snake had vanished. Which leaves a little doubt and uncertainty. Luckily they’re not much of a big deal venom-wise, and aren’t aggressive either :-)

bemahan
1307138.  Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
The annoying thing is that by the time I’d found a bucket and broom, the snake had vanished.

Were you planning to offer it a job as a cleaner?

Alfred E Neuman
1307141.  Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote

The theory is to persuade the snake to climb into the bucket, using the broom to dissuade it from turning around and leaving. Once it’s in the bucket, you take it out into the field and set it free, preferably too far for it to be back in the garden before you.

crissdee
1307142.  Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
........ they’re not much of a big deal venom-wise, and aren’t aggressive either......

No1 on the list of things only an Aussie or a South African would say!

tetsabb
1307150.  Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:
........ they’re not much of a big deal venom-wise, and aren’t aggressive either......

.. rapidly followed by "Aaaargh"???

Alfred E Neuman
1307165.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
crissdee wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:

.. rapidly followed by "Aaaargh"???

Hold my beer, I want to show you something...

So it was too hot to sleep last night and I spent some time on snake websites and Facebook groups trying to identify Monday’s snake-of the-day (a tiny one, about six inches long with a lovely pattern of dots down its side), when I read that many people under-estimate the rhombic night adder, and that it’s actually not fun at all to be bitten by one and also that they’re capable of killing dogs (but I suspect we’re talking Jack Russell and not Great Dane here). So I was right to get the broom rather than trying to just catch it in a bag. I do normally err on the side of caution and common sense (some might say cowardice), but perhaps the leather gloves were overkill.

Awitt
1307167.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote

A friend of mine in country New South Wales has a dog (her daughter's, actually) that has proven itself time and time again as a snake killer. We're talking red belly blacks and browns here - red bellies are dangerous.

However she's also been told by the vet that another lethal dose of snake and the dog may not survive another encounter. It has received a dry bite a couple of times.

The last brown snake killing story that I saw on Book of Faces, the dog had ripped the snake in two and it was around 3-4 metres long.

Jenny
1307212.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote

As a confirmed herpetophobe, I'm glad there are no poisonous snakes in Maine. And please nobody google to prove me wrong.

bemahan
1307236.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
The theory is to persuade the snake to climb into the bucket, using the broom to dissuade it from turning around and leaving. Once it’s in the bucket, you take it out into the field and set it free, preferably too far for it to be back in the garden before you.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek ;)

Bondee
1307240.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Don't! Just DON'T!!!

tetsabb
1307251.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Don't! Just DON'T!!!

I won't. Can't speak for bem, 'yorz, or certain others.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2