View previous topic | View next topic

EU Referendum 2.0

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What should we do about the EU?
Revoke Article 50, stay exactly where we are, and try to forget the whole sorry clusterfuck ever happened.
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Stay, but undertake a "root and branch" review of any and all aspects of our membership to address the concerns of a number of our citizens
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Leave, but only with a clear mandate from another referendum, and with a clearly defined plan to deal with all the issues.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

dr.bob
1307200.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
My idea, for those who haven't seen it elsewhere, was that once we've been in the transition period for about 18 months, we should have the option of re-joining on existing terms if sufficient progress has not been made in the trade negotiations.

The problem with this is that the EU seem to be keen for the UK to remain within their little club. Under your plan, they have the perfect opportunity to do that by simply "doing a David Davis" and doing precisely fuck all for 18 months. At the end of that period, they can throw their hands in the air and say "Oh no! What a shame! We've not made sufficient progress, so I guess you guys will just have to re-join the EU."

GuyBarry
1307205.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote

That's a good point, but I wasn't suggesting that the EU should be able to force the UK to rejoin - it would be a third option alongside extending the transition period and going into the backstop, and it would naturally be subject to a referendum.

Jenny
1307216.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote

I don't think they actually want us there now. I think we've pissed them off enough for them to think 'good riddance', and even if by some miracle we were able to remain we wouldn't be in very good standing.

suze
1307221.  Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Why won't anyone be happy if the Deal is passed? The PM and all her supporters will certainly be happy. That's 200 MPs - a bigger block than the "hard Remainers" and "hard Brexiteers" put together.

I shall take it that by "all" you mean "both". Because it is absolutely not the case that those MPs who voted for Mrs May to keep her job all support The Deal.

Take Ken Clarke, for instance. He said that he would have voted for The Deal, and I should be very surprised if he voted against Mrs May last week.

But that doesn't mean that he likes The Deal; he has made it very plain that he doesn't. One does not use the term "dog's breakfast" of something that actually makes one happy (unless one is a dog, I suppose, but they can't vote).

We have to suppose that just about everyone on the Remain side prefers The Deal to No Deal if there is no other option whatsoever. But Mr Clarke was unable to be enthusiastic about it, and those who are usually his allies on this subject - Greening, Grieve, Soubry - are so unenthusiastic that they intend to vote against it. Hammond and Streynsham-Hunt are Cabinet members and so are required to vote for The Deal, but I'm at best dubious that they would if they had a choice in the matter.

If The Deal had been concocted in advance and the original referendum had been a three way choice between Remain, The Deal, and No Deal, does anyone seriously believe that The Deal would have won?

barbados
1307282.  Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote

Of course we can't tell what would have happened in a different circumstance. What woukd probably have happened is remain would have got less of the vote in the leave/remain vote because in all likelihood the reluctant remainers, and leavers come to think of it would have voted for the deal option.

Alfred E Neuman
1307284.  Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Of course we can't tell what would have happened in a different circumstance. What woukd probably have happened is remain would have got less of the vote in the leave/remain vote because in all likelihood the reluctant remainers, and leavers come to think of it would have voted for the deal option.

You really think that the deal is that attractive? Isnít it just the least bad option still available given there are no viable good options left.

barbados
1307295.  Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote

No but from what I have heard about it I probably would have voted for it over remain.

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4