View previous topic | View next topic

Episode 246 comments

Page 1 of 1

Displaced Canuck
1306103.  Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote

First post of Canadian trivia.They talk, briefly about the Cree language and how it was used by the Canadian army during WW2. Cree is largest indigenous language in Canada and the Cree people extent from Labrador to the Yukon so it is very widespread.

Also the Mosquitoe plane frame was made from spruce trees grown on Vancouver Island. I have been in the area they were harvested. All the trees were cut down and only the spruce trees (about 15%) were taken out. Another example of the waste from war.

crissdee
1306107.  Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote

Hi there, Displaced Canuck! We have one of your countrywomen here, who may be along later to identify herself. Sounds like they should have sent someone in who could tell one tree from another.

Displaced Canuck
1306111.  Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. They did know which type tree was which they just found it easier to cut them all down. You have to understand these are huge trees 3 to 5 metres in diameter and 80 plus metres high. If you don’t cut them all down, especially then, it would be impossible to get the spruce out.The rest of the trees were Douglas Fir, Hemlock and Western Red Cedars. These are all valuable in normal circumstances but the war changed priorities.

suze
1306130.  Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Hi Displaced Canuck. I was displaced from Vancouver to London in 1998, and since then I've married an English guy so it seems that I'm staying. Always good to see another of my lot around here!

About eight thousand De Havilland Mosquitos were built in total, around one thousand of those in Canada. Most of the Sitka spruce used to build those airplanes came Vancouver Island and from Haidi Gwaii, while the lighter woods used in the construction were mostly from Wisconsin.

At the last Canadian census, six indigenous languages were recorded as having ten thousand or more speakers. Nēhiyawēwin (Plains Cree) was the most widely spoken by a large margin, with more than twice as many speakers as Inuktitut. Inuk in turn had nearly twice as many speakers as Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwe), and the other three were Dėnesųłiné (Chipewyan), Innu-Aimūn (Montagnais, which some consider to be a dialect of Cree), and Anishininiimowin (Severn Ojibwa). Inuktitut is the only one of those whose number of speakers is increasing, largely as a result of deliberate policy by the government of Nunavut.

Page 1 of 1